Newbie pre-delivery questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 01:52 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Newbie pre-delivery questions

deejub44 — It's probably not material to you now, since you've decided to go for a NAV TCH, but I thought I'd just point out the following. In the non-NAV TCH there's no speed signal wire going to the radio, so the Bluetooth doesn't know how fast the car is moving. This probably means that some of the lockouts present in the NAV Bluetooth version are not present in the non-NAV.

Stan

Old 02-21-2008, 08:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have an '08 with the no Nav and I will say that the Bluetooth for the phone works fine. I am able to see the incoming number on the radio display (I have the JBL) even while driving. So there does not appear to be a speed lockout.

I paired a Moto w385 with the bluetooth with no issue and it works great. I have not messed with the phonebook yet as I have only had the car a few days.

The reason I went without the NAV is the fact that I have a Nuvi 660. I was able to place the unit in the car and do not see any problems operating it while stuck to the left lower corner of the windshield. I haven't tried moving it yet, but would like to get a more permanent placement for it. I get about 16 - 18 feet accuracy on the unit with multiple satellites which is what I was getting in my old car (a 2000 Nissan Maxima).

Old 02-21-2008, 09:19 AM
SPL

tegster — Just a point of safety, mentioned in the TCH Owner's Manual. Nothing should be mounted where it could be struck and sent flying in the event of a side-curtain air-bag deployment. The A pillar trim cover is a potential item that could send your GPS (as currently mounted) flying if the bag deploys.

Stan

Old 02-21-2008, 09:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Good point, that had not occurred to me. My last car did not have those airbags so I am unfamiliar with their operation. Thanks for letting me know, I will move it!!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by tegster
Good point, that had not occurred to me. My last car did not have those airbags so I am unfamiliar with their operation...
As long as we're talking about airbags, make sure you change your driving habits. I learned (30 years ago) to hold the wheel at 10 and 2 o'clock. This is no longer advisable in the case of an airbag deployment as your hands can injure your face/eyes and you can suffer broken arm bones.
These days, people are taught to hold the wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock (or lower!) to keep the arms and hands out of the way of the potential airbag.
All times are based upon GMT, adjust accordingly based upon your location.
Just my two cents.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks! Looks like I will have to resynchronize my clock as well.