No heat

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default No heat

Hi,

I bought a TCH in 2008. It's a 2009 model. I have been having problems with the heating system since three weeks ago. First, I though I was using the wrong anti-freeze. After I changed it, the heat still wasn't working.

I went to the dealership and bought a new thermostat and had it installed. The heat still didn't work. So the dealer wanted to try something else. They said maybe there was a blockage and they wanted to look under the dashboard. They took apart the whole dashboard and found nothing!

Now, they're saying they need to replace the "black box," some kind of heater box. Anyway, the car's heating system is still not fixed and it won't be worked on until Tuesday because of the holidays.

Does this sound right to anyone out there? Do you think the dealer is doing the right thing? Do they really know how to fix the heating system? I feel like they are using my car like a guinea pig.

Also, has anyone else had similar problems with the heat in the TCH? How did you fix your problem? Did you go to the dealer?

Any comments would be appreciated!

Old 01-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: No heat

From the service manual:

The heater water pump assembly sends engine coolant to the heater core assembly while the engine is stopped to prevent heater effectiveness from becoming low. Directed by the A/C amplifier, the hybrid vehicle control ECU operates the water pump relay and drives the heater water pump assembly.

See attachment.

So bacically when the ICE is stopped, the heater water pump motor is controlled by the ECU and allows or controls coolant flow to the heater core.

The question I have is what happens when the ICE is running? Is it possible for the motor to block coolant flow to the heater core if it is defective?

Can you feel the hose and check the outlet temperature going into the heater core?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Heater water pump.pdf (37.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 01-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: No heat

dg370 has good point. locate both heater core hoses and try feeling them at normal operating temperature and heat turned to on. they should be both same temp on touch. if not, heater core has blockage. air bubble, most likely. as for a car that young, i simply do not see heater core go bad.
of course, it's a scholastic question, considering your car is at dealership. also, outside of hassling with car sitting there for few days and you driving - they gave you a courtesy car, right? - let them have it. warranty is warranty.
so far, sounds like they are guessing though.
also, knowing if you have digital climate controls should help. boy oh boy, do i miss g'ol mechanical levers and large *****!!