Non hybrid vehicle milestone

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 03:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Non hybrid vehicle milestone

My 1996 Avalon just crossed 200,000 miles.
The car now costs a fair amount in periodic, annoying, repairs, but it drives great, so it ain't going nowhere.
Most noticeable improvement was the new tie rod bushings (I think that's what it's called). Before replacing, the car felt like it was falling apart, now it drives like new. Wonder how many people get rid of their cars when they hear or feel that rumbling from the back?
In terms of value and price, I'm sold on Toyotas!

Last edited by haroldo; 10-24-2010 at 05:13 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Non hybrid vehicle milestone

Larry,

I applaud your decision to keep this one rolling. Continuing with a serviceable but fully depreciated car that you like and like to drive is usually less expensive than any alternative.

As for myself, I usually consider a change when my forecast for maintenance and repairs for the next year is less than the average of the first 3 years' depreciation on a new ride.

With that approach, I usually feel good if I've clocked over 150,000 mi.; so, my hat's off to you for passing 200k !

Noting your other post on the 3-year-old TCH, I'm wondering whether from your perspective the TCH is a sufficiently like-able car (say by comparison to the Avalon) to merit consideration as your next long term keeper.

I would very much enjoy your answer.

Noting

Last edited by Smilin' Jack; 10-24-2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Non hybrid vehicle milestone

Oh, the TCH isn't going anywhere.
I know many like to get a new car every few years.
Putting two kids through a small liberal arts college and living in suburban NJ is more important than 'that new car smell;.
The Avalon has had a few repairs of late, but I wrote a check in 1996 and since then, I don't think I've put more than $2500 to $3000 in maintaining the car. If that number is accurate, I think I'm well ahead of the game.