OEM iPod Integration?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 10:42 AM
pjp
Enthusiast
Default OEM iPod Integration?

There have been plenty of threads regarding iPod integration, and some of them even noted the announcement of Toyota's own solution (around September 2007 or so). But now that this kit is available in the US, I haven't been able to find anyone on this forum who is using one and/or has first-hand experience.

The text accompanying the website I linked here says it's iPod or satellite, but not both. A user in another forum says that's not the case, that he has Sirius and his iPod working fine with the OEM adapter.

Please weigh in if you have any information on this.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:45 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: OEM iPod Integration?

I have it on my '09 TCH. I don't have Sat turned on, but it actually is plugged into the AUX jack, so I think the AUX plug in console won't work, but Sirius or XM should, since I've seen TCH's with XM and the iPod interface.

I'm not entirely thrilled with the interface. You have to setup a play list to help find your music (you can't use the Artist/Albumn menus on your iPod on the head unit). You have to scroll through "folders" which are the Playlists, also it won't show you all of the "folders" (playlists) on the Headunit at one time, so you have to scroll through them one at a time until you get to the playlist you want. I have a iPod 2GB Nano and have like 30 playlists that mimic the Artists on the iPod.

Hope that helps. It is nice being able to control it from the steering wheel though.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Professional Hacker

Toyota's use of an A/V LAN (local area network) is great for adding extras. The best option so far is VIAS (or is it VAIS?) They interface you pick will plug into the same place in the back of the stereo or NAV system. The more advanced the interface, the more options you will have. With the 5th Gen NAV system, you should go with an interface like the SoundLinq2 that shows up as an external 6 Disc MP3 changer. That way you get full support for all of the ipod features, and the NAV system is able to display the ID3 information.

More basic interfaces show up as a SAT tuner. This is great for a simple interface, but you loose many of the abilities of the iPod.

I think it's the SL2i that is the best for the 09 Camry.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Enthusiast

[quote=pjp;182830]There have been plenty of threads regarding iPod integration, and some of them even noted the announcement of Toyota's own solution (around September 2007 or so). But now that this kit is available in the US, I haven't been able to find anyone on this forum who is using one and/or has first-hand experience.

The text accompanying the website I linked here says it's iPod or satellite, but not both. A user in another forum says that's not the case, that he has Sirius and his iPod working fine with the OEM adapter.

Please weigh in if you have any information on this.[/quote

I had the dealler install the Toyota iPod kit on my 09 TCH a couple weeks ago. It had a Toyota part number and is made by Alpine......I can look or music by folder artist or album...............works great, the manual was not very good though

Old 07-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Driving in stealth mode

Looking at the wiring you need a Y cable like those of us who have the VAIS unit have. If you don't have that you won't be able to have both Sat. and IPOD if I am correct.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Enthusiast

[quote=MplsTCH;182854]
Originally Posted by pjp
There have been plenty of threads regarding iPod integration, and some of them even noted the announcement of Toyota's own solution (around September 2007 or so). But now that this kit is available in the US, I haven't been able to find anyone on this forum who is using one and/or has first-hand experience.

Please weigh in if you have any information on this.[/quote

I had the dealler install the Toyota iPod kit on my 09 TCH a couple weeks ago. It had a Toyota part number and is made by Alpine......I can look or music by folder artist or album...............works great, the manual was not very good though
Do you have the part number? I can't for the life of me, get mine to work in the Nav system with the Album/Artist listing. My car is only 1 week old.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Enthusiast

I just picked up my Camry after having the Toyota kit installed. It works on the Sat connection and so you cannot have the kit and Sat working (at least according to the manual). After playing around with it for a while, it seems to be good, but more complicated than just using the IPOD though the Aux connector. I am not sure that I will take my eyes off the road less than before. I have the Nav system, and so track name, artist etc are displayed. I think once I learn the navigation, the kit will be useful. The sound is good, no interference. It also works with my Iphone, and it still keeps the Bluetooth connection and the music cuts out when a call comes in.

One question, problem is that the Ipod and Iphone remain powered on when the car is turned off. I am not sure if this is coming from the car's battery or the Ipod/Iphone. Either way this is a problem. If it is the former I can expect the cars battery to be drained, if it is the latter, the Ipod/Iphone will be drained. The purpose of the unit is to keep the Ipod installed and not have to disconnect or turn if off manually. I have called the dealer to see if this is an installation error. No one has called back yet, and the manual and web have no information. Any help?

Old 07-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Enthusiast

gsaff, did you get this installed after you took delivery of your car or was it done at the port? My iPod interface installed at the port runs off of the CD/AUX mode and not the SAT mode. I wonder if the port installs one version and the dealership installs a "better" version.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Enthusiast

oh, and mine didn't come with a manual, it was just the salesman saying "use the CD/AUX" to get to your iPod.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:16 PM
Enthusiast

I had the kit installed separately by the Toyota dealer where I bought the car. The kit was not in stock when I bought the car in March (2008 TCH, with Nav). The manual that I refer to is only about 8 pages and very basic. The cost of the kit was $250 and $100 for installation. I am not sure why I was connected via Sat and you via Aux or what difference it makes (except that I cannot now add Sat - which I did not plan on doing).

Quick Reply: OEM iPod Integration?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands