Oil Changes at home.. what to do with the half quart?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 12:03 AM
Enthusiast
Default Oil Changes at home.. what to do with the half quart?

I did my oil change and ended up using less than 4.5 quarts.. since this Mobil 1 stuff is relatively expensive is it ok to keep that half quart and use it next oil change? If it's better to just get rid of it and buy another 5 (unopened) quarts I'll do that.. but just wanted to know what you guys do.

Thanks!

Old 11-11-2007, 05:33 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil Changes at home.. what to do with the half quart?

I save my 1/2 quart for the next time.

I also document the activity with a couple of digital pictures that show the odometer and the oil & filter that I've put in and I keep receipts for the supplies. I figure if I ever have an engine warranty issue at least I'll have something to indicate that the oil was changed.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Oil Changes at home.. what to do with the half quart?

I'm using the Toyota brand zero weight oil. It's only available in quart containers from the dealer. I also have the leftover at each change. I simply keep it to add if needed. I can also use it for the next oil change. I doubt it hurts to keep it as long as the cap is on tight.