Old age - 2008 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 10:16 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Old age - 2008 Camry

It brought up more questions.

Thats why I asked if you had personal experience with it.

They are trying to sell something as I mentioned.

Old 05-20-2021, 10:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes. I've installed a handful of them. The concepts they built their business on were developed by Mike Dabrowski about 10 years ago for the Honda Insight.

Old 05-21-2021, 08:28 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks,

I thought I had seen you mention that the grid charger doesnt really do any good for maintaining the battery in another thread.

Do you think its a good choice to prolong the battery in the 2009 camry?

Old 05-21-2021, 08:39 AM

Curious. From the other thread where we've both been active:

Originally Posted by S Keith
One of the two modules on block 13 has a failed cell. It spikes under charge, and it drops under load.

Continued driving in that condition can cause the module to rupture. I've seen it twice.

Concerning grid charging, unlike a Honda, over-use of a grid charger on a Toyota will kill the battery. They are more likely to vent than the Honda "D" cells. Repeated over-use and venting will rapidly kill the battery.

Keeping the battery cool with forced air during charging is beyond mandatory.

IMHO, a grid charger for a Toyota is a maintenance item, not a repair item. Out of 400+ Toyota failures, I've never seen one that could be fixed with grid charger. That said, it is extremely useful as a reconditioning tool being able to restore lost capacity in a manner similar to what you saw with your Insight.

However, all Gen 3/4 Toyota hybrids damage their batteries. They use them far more aggressively, and they screwed the cooling system up. Essentially any Toyota/Lexus hybrid that is NOT a 04-09 Prius falls into this category.

When you conduct a discharge, I recommend you pick target voltages of 245, 224, and 204. Record time, amps and all 34 module voltages. Terminate the discharge when the first module hits 3V. it is very likely that you have 7+ modules that are of extremely low capacity that can't be recovered.

Do not over charge these packs. Recommend 8125mAh max input at 350-500mA max.

Good luck.
I literally said it's a maintenance item, and it's useful for restoring capacity.

I don't state it explicitly, but I strongly imply it should not be over-used.

​​​​​​​

Old 05-21-2021, 09:00 AM
Enthusiast

ooops I think it was my mistake. You were talking about the 3rd gens

Old 05-21-2021, 10:15 AM

Your car is a 3rd gen. That tidbit seems a bit random. 3rd gens damage their batteries. The implication is that results won't be as favorable, but that's not to say there will be no benefit.

It was a lead-in to the next part where I recommended taking individual module voltages at different pack voltage levels - to help identify any damaged modules.

Old 05-21-2021, 10:40 AM
Enthusiast

Id love to find someone local to me that I could use their grid charger and give mine a little replenish...I know its never been done.

Old 07-16-2022, 04:15 PM
Enthusiast

To the point of the Prius in Phoenix... I drive a 2010 Camry Hybrid with over 240k miles in Phoenix and I can say that the battery assist is noticeably lower in the summer heat than it is in cooler winter temps. I do think I'll be getting the battery replaced soon however and am actively researching good batteries on the market as well "pondering" the option of building one myself using LiFePO4 cells but that is not for the faint of heart.

Old 10-11-2022, 08:42 AM
Enthusiast

My TCH (I am second owner, since spring 2018) was imported from the USA a couple of months after it was bought by the first owner (spring 2008). Toyota did not market Camry's in the EU between 2006 and, I think, 2016, but they have a good reputation here in The Netherlands. We have a temperate climate and, at the most, about 4 weeks below freezing point. Summers are rarely very hot though this summer was one. The car has been well-maintained and in the past 14 years covered about 106K miles. I, also, was concerned about the HV battery condition after so many years (It's the original one according to the seller). So I recently bought the Dr. Prius app (the free version does not permit you to test battery condition) and an OBD2 adapter (OBDLINK-LX) to obtain an indication of battery life expectancy. The result wasn't too bad as Dr. Prius reported 69%, which means that, according to the app, the HV battery is in "fair" condition (90+% is new condition, 70-90% is good condition, 50-70% is fair condition, 40-50% is poor condition, below 40% means replacement). So I guess that's a good result for a 14 years old hybrid. Next months I will have to replace the rear break disks according to the repair-shop nearby who has to test the quality of the car every year (annual mandatory car-safety inspection). Last year I had to replace the rear-wheel ball-bearing (right) which, I think, was a bit costly. But, according to the noise produced by the bearing, it was necessary. All in all I am very happy with the car, which never let me down and gives me a happy feeling when I drive it. When I bought the car 86K miles were on the odo meter, currently 106K miles. The TCH has "full options" as its called here, with leather seats, sun roof, excellent stereo, large NAV display screen, etc.. I hardly switch on the radio/stereo as I enjoy the smooth and near silent ride. Cruising at about 60 miles on the highway petrol consumption is about 42 MPG and at 50 the fuel consumption bars rise above 50 MPG. Overall average is reported to be about 36 MPG. My drive-style is pretty relaxed, but occasionally I press the gas pedal to the bottom to test "performance", and to wake-up my wife as she can't keep her eyes open as a passenger (....Btw, she has assured me that falling asleep is because of the smooth driving, and not because she's bored with me...) I think its good to share TCH life-time experiences.