One of the worst things about the TCH (w/Nav)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:10 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default One of the worst things about the TCH (w/Nav)

Well, I like my TCH, but I recently found out that they really, really pooched something.

So the Navigation system locks out when the car is in motion. Yes, pain in the ****, but it is a known issue. I wish it didn't - I'd pay Toyota and extra $1,000 to be able to turn this off (not through some janky hack).

But the WORST thing...they disable being able to navigate a MP3 disc while in motion! You can't browse the folders or files. (You can only blindly switch folders).

And of course, you can get to the screens via voice command (which can compensate (weakly) for the Nav portion being locked while in motion.

There is no reason to lock this, a.) it's not the same distraction as typing stuff in to a map/browsing the POI, b.) it's entirely reasonable to want to browse a MP3 while in motion (by you or passenger) and c.) there is no work-around! (not integrated into voice command system).

Toyota design / quality control really missed it on this.

Argh...I really wish they would have put some thought into it before that try to save us from ourselves.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: One of the worst things about the TCH (w/Nav)

I don't have NAV, nor do I fool around with MP3's, but I imagine the distraction of searching for a file, while the car is in motion, would be deemed a safety concern.
Yes, a passenger can navigate it, but if it was available, so could (and would) a sole driver.
I've seen driver's read newspapers, send texts, hold cell phones, put on make up, drink and eat while driving.
I guess if drivers could view their music files, that would only create a more dangerous environment.
It is a safety issue, isn't it?

Workaround...create a playlist called "drive time" and select it before putting the car in motion.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:11 AM

"Before trying to save us from ourselves..."

No, they're TRYING to save US from YOU....

And obviously not succeeding very well.

Again, how many deaths/year from automotive accidents....????

Wouldn't ALL of us like to see that number reduced by half.

My GPS/nav screen gets turned off once the destination is programmed in. If the voice directions are confusing the last thing I need, any of us need, is the distraction of looking over, READING, the map display at a time of confusion anyway.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:34 AM

[start of rant]

Forget the driver, there are a thousand things they could do even if Toyota locked the nav down like Fort Knox. It really is useless to lock down the NAV but still have the distraction of the radio controls, climate controls, insane ECO button location, cup holder, cubby hole, arm rest bin, and so on. Honestly, those are only the items in the car. We have to add the list Larry mentioned plus a thousand more.

Here's the deal:

As a driver you are responsible to drive safely. There is no system that could be designed to make you a safe driver. The only thing that could make you a safe driver is to not drive at all. So we should stop locking out functions that could safely be utilized by a passenger. If we have a problem with poor/unsafe drivers, toughen the law. Revoke a license for a period of time if a driver is involved in an unsafe action. Charge drivers a portion of insurance settlement (whether their fault or not) if they were text messaging or using a cell phone or using the navigation at time of accident - do something.

To any one who preaches we should have no distractions. Do you ever get an itch on your, say, arm and scratch it while driving? Have you ever sneezed or coughed while driving? Do you ever talk to someone while in the car? Do you listen to any sort of audio? Do you look at the clouds some time? Or a passing animal on a farm pasture?

If yes, I would like it if you could please stop because I do not want to be killed as a result of your unsafe action.

[end of rant]

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 08-26-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Note: the so-called hack to work around the "lockout while in motion" also works for MP3 folders. I am glad I have it.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by chris_h
Note: the so-called hack to work around the "lockout while in motion" also works for MP3 folders. I am glad I have it.
Amen.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwest
"Before trying to save us from ourselves..."

No, they're TRYING to save US from YOU....

And obviously not succeeding very well.

Again, how many deaths/year from automotive accidents....????

Wouldn't ALL of us like to see that number reduced by half.

My GPS/nav screen gets turned off once the destination is programmed in. If the voice directions are confusing the last thing I need, any of us need, is the distraction of looking over, READING, the map display at a time of confusion anyway.
You should read before posting. As for traffic accidents, speeding and DUI are the biggest contributors to death.

If you want that number reduced, drive the speed limit and don't take drugs (inc alcohol) while driving.

Sure, distraction is an issue, but it's compounded by people not being responsible in the first place.

I was talking about the MP3 lists, not the map. Again, read before responding.

Last edited by mikecism; 08-26-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
I don't have NAV, nor do I fool around with MP3's, but I imagine the distraction of searching for a file, while the car is in motion, would be deemed a safety concern.
Yes, a passenger can navigate it, but if it was available, so could (and would) a sole driver.
I've seen driver's read newspapers, send texts, hold cell phones, put on make up, drink and eat while driving.
I guess if drivers could view their music files, that would only create a more dangerous environment.
It is a safety issue, isn't it?

Workaround...create a playlist called "drive time" and select it before putting the car in motion.
Since you don't have it, you don't understand, it's not that "distracting"; no more so than changing the volume, bass, treble or fader. As I said, I see the map issue, but the audio issue is silly, especially since they only disable some of the button, not all.

Sorry, playlists are not are supported!

Old 08-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
[start of rant]

Forget the driver, there are a thousand things they could do even if Toyota locked the nav down like Fort Knox. It really is useless to lock down the NAV but still have the distraction of the radio controls, climate controls, insane ECO button location, cup holder, cubby hole, arm rest bin, and so on. Honestly, those are only the items in the car. We have to add the list Larry mentioned plus a thousand more.

Here's the deal:

As a driver you are responsible to drive safely. There is no system that could be designed to make you a safe driver. The only thing that could make you a safe driver is to not drive at all. So we should stop locking out functions that could safely be utilized by a passenger. If we have a problem with poor/unsafe drivers, toughen the law. Revoke a license for a period of time if a driver is involved in an unsafe action. Charge drivers a portion of insurance settlement (whether their fault or not) if they were text messaging or using a cell phone or using the navigation at time of accident - do something.

To any one who preaches we should have no distractions. Do you ever get an itch on your, say, arm and scratch it while driving? Have you ever sneezed or coughed while driving? Do you ever talk to someone while in the car? Do you listen to any sort of audio? Do you look at the clouds some time? Or a passing animal on a farm pasture?

If yes, I would like it if you could please stop because I do not want to be killed as a result of your unsafe action.

[end of rant]
The voice of reason. Amen.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chris_h
For disc version 7.1? Without having to pull fuses? I see the other thread on this, but quite frankly, it's missing the "dummies" step-by-step guide.

I am likely missing something, so any pointer to the step-by-step would be welcome.

Quick Reply: One of the worst things about the TCH (w/Nav)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands