Opening the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 11:20 PM
Enthusiast
Default Opening the trunk

Hello all,

Just curious about whether or not there is a handsfree feature for opening the TCH trunk. I noticed that the Prius has a black button for the trunk but the TCH doesn't. Is there a difference between how you open the Prius trunk and how you open the TCH trunk?

Old 06-11-2006, 05:29 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Opening the trunk

I'm pretty sure the trunk lever/button is near the fuel door lever/button... at least that's what I vaguely recall from our test drive.

Old 06-11-2006, 06:26 AM
Olde Farte

The lever is on the floor just to the left of the driver's seat. The fuel filler door release is on the dash.\

Old 06-11-2006, 07:18 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hybridchat
Hello all,

Just curious about whether or not there is a handsfree feature for opening the TCH trunk. I noticed that the Prius has a black button for the trunk but the TCH doesn't. Is there a difference between how you open the Prius trunk and how you open the TCH trunk?
Not sure what you mean by the Prius having a black button for the trunk. A black button where? Somewhere on the car? On the keyfob?

For the TCH, besides the lever inside the car, there is a button on the keyfob that will open the trunk.

For a third method of opening, if you have the fob on you, say in a pocket or purse, and you're standing at the trunk, you can also open it by pushing on the "handle" that's kind of a piece of rubber under the Toyota emblem. You can't see it unless you bend over and look up at it from below. And the keyfob must be in range at the rear of the car.

Old 06-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gc77584
Not sure what you mean by the Prius having a black button for the trunk. A black button where? Somewhere on the car? On the keyfob?

For the TCH, besides the lever inside the car, there is a button on the keyfob that will open the trunk.

For a third method of opening, if you have the fob on you, say in a pocket or purse, and you're standing at the trunk, you can also open it by pushing on the "handle" that's kind of a piece of rubber under the Toyota emblem. You can't see it unless you bend over and look up at it from below. And the keyfob must be in range at the rear of the car.
gc - you answered exactly what I was curious about........Thanks!

Old 06-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Opening the trunk

I'd describe the third method (my method of choice 99% of the time) as a button protected by rubber under the center of the trunk lip. The curious thing is how this button operates... it won't release the trunk when you push it, but rather only when you *release* it after having pushed it. The delay sequence seems a little odd, but you'll quickly get used to it.

As far as having any "handsfree" capability, as you asked, I tried using my tongue to push the button, but most owners will find that too awkward, and with a possible risk of shock if the rubber should ever deteriorate.

Old 06-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

You forgot to mention the increasingly bad taste of dirty, aging rubber, Steve!

Old 06-11-2006, 11:37 AM
Arrow Re: Opening the trunk

<ahem> ...as if I would know???

Old 06-11-2006, 06:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for that tip! I would never have known that button was there under the center of the trunk lip. That's going to be helpful, since I've been taking out my keys and pressing the button on the keyfob to open the trunk when I am outside of the car. Talk about lazy, huh? Today I even put 3 bags of groceries on the back seat (in a 2-day old car, horrors!) rather than get out my keyfob.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
The curious thing is how this button operates... it won't release the trunk when you push it, but rather only when you *release* it after having pushed it.
I actually find that I'm pressing and holding the trunk release for the trunk to open. I haven't tried pressing and releasing it though.

Quick Reply: Opening the trunk

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands