"out-gassing" : still strong after a year of ownership

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: "out-gassing" : still strong after a year of ownership

I may be well off on this but then I'd never heard of outgassing.
You guys that are suffering this problem, how do you wash your cars exterior.
Normally I hand wash my cars, yes even in winter. About 5 years ago APC in the US loned the company I work for one of their show cars, a Z24 which I had the displeasure of driving for 3 weeks. It had one of those fancy change colour paintjobs and the thing had to be kept pristine. After hand washing the car every day for a week I took to the "No Touch" auto washes. After a couple of these I noticed the interior glass getting foggy so I cleaned it. 2 or 3 days and washes later again foggy windows. I went back to a few hand washes and no foggy windows, back to the car wash and again foggy windows.
We had this car through a real hot spell and I figured it was while I was sitting in the car wash with the air con operating that perhaps something in the recycled water was vaporising and leaving a film on the windshield???

Old 05-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Enthusiast

Outgassing is a problem for those who are sensitive to airborne chemicals -new carpet, new upholstered furniture, new cars etc. Baking soda really helps with this - brush it in the carpet and upholstery, leave it a day then vacuum it out. I replaced the cabin airfilter with a homemade one using a high quality central air filter. You could use a low resistence filter material and add a layer of activated charcoal to really take out chemical odors. Running a comercial ionizer overnight in the car also helps.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:02 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by peter
I wish.
Anyone any solutions?
Someone in the Prius chat room said that he used an electric space heater for a few days to heat the interior up and speed the off-gassing process . He said it worked in his Prius. Anyone any thoughts on this?
My 2007 Prius is 4 months old now, and I noticed a new car smell for only maybe 3-4 weeks. My windshield has not had any sort of film problem either.

If I was in your shoes, I would complain to Toyota's customer experience center, as well as your dealer. Let them know that this is a significant concern for you, and has affected your enjoyment of your Camry.

Checkout this web page for the Toyota toll free number:

http://www.toyota.com/about/contact/

I have generally found their customer service people to be knowledgeable and helpful.

Do you know what factory your Camry was built in? Perhaps a problem exists at that particular factory.

Lance