portable GPS does not work in my TCH

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 06:11 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons
Default Re: portable GPS does not work in my TCH

Odd - I have a Garmin GPS-V and it will work in literally any location I put it in within my TCH (w/ Nav-Sunroof).. I've experienced as few as 3 satellits when it's placed on the console in front of the shifter, but when I place it in front of the speedometer (on top of the column) it will get as many satellites as it can (7 or more) even if held out the window.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:15 AM
Dazed and Confused

So, could having a suroof be the difference between a working aftermarket nav and a non working one?

Old 01-12-2007, 07:38 AM
Enthusiast

I got my TCH in Toronto and drove it to Ottawa, ON. Since I had no passenger, I put my Garmin 350 NUVI on the passenger seat and it performed flawlessly. Never a problem. Car has the B package which includes the sunroof.

Last edited by keithet; 01-12-2007 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Enthusiast

I have a Magellan Roadmate 6000T and have never encountered a problem acquiring or maintaining a signal (except for that time we had unusually high solar activity). BTW, I have no sunroof or factory nav.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

so are you guys stating that portable GPS in general dont work in hybrid cars? Or particular configurations with specific models?

I am totally new to the hybrid things and havent heard anything about this yet.

I have a garmin 60c and was assuming that I could use it in the car. Anyone know if I will have issues using this model in the THC?

Old 01-15-2007, 11:24 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: UPdate on portable GPS does not work in my TCH

I got the re-radiating antenna but it did not work at all. I moved the GPS from the center vent to the vent on driver side and GPS catches 4 satellites and working.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:36 PM
Enthusiast

I haven't had any problems with getting signal on my garmin nuvi 660. Stick it on the center part of the windshield with the suction cup, and go. I've got the base TCH, no sunroof -- only option was the heated side mirrors.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:23 AM
Enthusiast

I have a Garmin i5 GPS mounted on the front windshield. It certainly has more problems in the TCH then it did in a normal glass car. But it still gets a reliable signal 98% of the time.

Old 01-22-2007, 12:20 PM
TCH-Frosted Mink

After reading this post yesterday, I decided to try out mine.
All of them work perfectly.
1> Garmin C320
2> Palm GPS BT to Palm Zire72
3> Mio c300

Old 01-22-2007, 01:27 PM
old fart

I have a garmin 2720 and it will not work without an ext. antenna.It works but will loose sats.and not find sats for sometimes up to 10 min then quit again.I tried it in 2 camry hibrids. could be that ones that stick on the windshield will work better than the kind i have

Quick Reply: portable GPS does not work in my TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands