Possible Opportunity July 1st

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 09:59 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Possible Opportunity July 1st

In Virginia, hybrids registered with "Clean Special Fuel" license plates may continue to use the I-395 & I-95 HOV lanes through July 2007 with a single occupant. Hybrids registered AFTER June 30th will not quality for this HOV exemption! (They can still drive solo on I-66 and the Dulles Toll Road.

So, why should any of you non-Virginians care? I would speculate that at least SOME of the people on the waiting list for TCHs will DROP OFF if they cannot receive their vehicles before July 1. It may not be many, but I suspect a few well-timed calls could be well rewarded in early July.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Possible Opportunity July 1st

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
In Virginia, hybrids registered with "Clean Special Fuel" license plates may continue to use the I-395 & I-95 HOV lanes through July 2007 with a single occupant. Hybrids registered AFTER June 30th will not quality for this HOV exemption! (They can still drive solo on I-66 and the Dulles Toll Road.

So, why should any of you non-Virginians care? I would speculate that at least SOME of the people on the waiting list for TCHs will DROP OFF if they cannot receive their vehicles before July 1. It may not be many, but I suspect a few well-timed calls could be well rewarded in early July.

We may be there already. I live in Virginia and got my TCH on June 9. However, my understanding is that I need to receive my permanent registration before applying for the "clean special fuel" plate. So the odds are that I won't be able to get that prior to July 1. In my case I live in southeastern Virginia, so the I-395, I-95 exemption does not matter.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:36 AM

This concerns me greatly! I just got my TCH on 12 June, but the dealer filled out my tag app for the CSF tags at the time I purchased. I was under the impression that it could be done immediately. I wonder how best to know for certain. I don't want to miss the deadline!

Old 06-19-2006, 10:41 AM

This concerns me greatly! I just got my TCH on 12 June, but the dealer filled out my tag app for the CSF tags at the time I purchased. I was under the impression that it could be done immediately. I wonder how best to know for certain. I don't want to miss the deadline!
I take it you must live in northern VA. I'm going by info that the dealer told me, which could easily be wrong. I guess it's time for both of us to research the answer. First one with the correct answer wins five free posts on GreenHybrid.com.

Old 06-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Enthusiast

I live in NC and got mine that way as someone got nervous and dropped off the list .

Old 06-19-2006, 11:16 AM

I took a look at the DMV web page regarding hybrid vehicles. It says that you need the VIN and title number. Maybe your dealer was able to submit this while submitting the titling info. However, mine said I have to wait for the title number to request the special plates.

Old 06-19-2006, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the info. I just found out my dealer has assigned someone to be the license "expediter". She's hand carrying paperwork for a dozen customers to the DMV tomorrow to pick up the "regular" plates. Once she has those, she's faxing the completed CSF forms to Richmond. A set of regular plates will end up at the dealership. The CSF plates, I think, will be mailed to me. I guess I may end up being responsible for returning the "standard" plates to the DMV. Not sure on that one.

Fortunately, it sounds like they are really taking the 30 June deadline seriously, and keeping me from having to worry about a lot of details!

Old 06-19-2006, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the info. I just found out my dealer has assigned someone to be the license "expediter". She's hand carrying paperwork for a dozen customers to the DMV tomorrow to pick up the "regular" plates. Once she has those, she's faxing the completed CSF forms to Richmond. A set of regular plates will end up at the dealership. The CSF plates, I think, will be mailed to me. I guess I may end up being responsible for returning the "standard" plates to the DMV. Not sure on that one.

Fortunately, it sounds like they are really taking the 30 June deadline seriously, and keeping me from having to worry about a lot of details!
Good for you. It seems like my dealership is not hurrying too much. It doesn't matter as much to me here. It's very rare that I'm on one of those roads, and if I am I'll be avoiding them during rush hour. And if I happen to be up there during rush hour I'll probably have someone in the car with me. Anyhow, I printed out the form and filled out everything except the title number. Just have to come up with a good saying for a vanity plate. Every good one I've thought of is taken.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Just ran across this rather old forum.

I am in the same situatoin. I decided to purchase a hybrid before July 1 to beat the deadline sort of at the last minute--the weekend before. Signed papers on June 24, took delivery June 26.

Anyway, on the 25th I came to fully understand the problem--that essentially you can't complete the application without a title number and the car being registered first.

You aren't going to get that under normal circumstances, especially if you have financed your vehicle.

I purchased my car at Fitzgerald Lakeforest Toyota, and told them the situation (by the way, I paid $900 under MSRP for a Barcelona Red TCH w/sunroof package). By the end of our conversations, they knew my deal depending largely on these plates.

Essentially, they made an exception in my case and had the vehicle titled immediately, even though my check had not cleared. They they registered it for normal plates to get me a plate number. On Tuesday the 27th, I had a title number and a plate number and completed my application.

Now, the actual title does not show up in the DMV database right away--it takes somewhere in the neighborhood of a week. That still puts me past 7/1.

My dealership spoke with DMW, and I repeatedly called DMV to ask uf whether I would receive white CF plates. They told me that as long as I submitted a completed application BEFORE July 1, regardless of when the title showed up on their system, I would be receive the CF plate.

So now its just wait and see. Bottom line is that I purchased the car before July 1, had it registered and titled before July 1, and submitted a completed application before July 1. So we'll see what shows up.

Old 07-07-2006, 05:25 AM

Sounds like your dealer is a keeper. I purchased mine on June 9 and I'm still waiting for the permanent registration. I live in southeastern Virginia. In fact I'm at work now and could throw a rock into NC so losing the exemption for the northern VA roads doesn't matter. Still would have expected to receive my registration in less than 4 weeks.

Do I need to get a new license plate, or do I just get a sticker to put on my old plate?

Quick Reply: Possible Opportunity July 1st

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands