Pulse and Glide

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 08:59 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question Pulse and Glide

The Prius allows the driver to use a technique called pulse and glide. I have well aware of how it works and have seen it in operation in my friend's Prius.

However, I have never been able to get my Camry to glide for more than a couple of seconds.

Anyone with a TCH been able to get your vehicle to glide for more than a couple of seconds?

Old 04-30-2007, 12:17 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Pulse and Glide

Not really. I've only see it do it once for about 15 seconds at 25 mph.
Most of the time it has only been for a few seconds like you have seen.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:39 AM
Enthusiast

If you have not read, please refere to following article on true technique for Pulse and Glide used for Prius. Since Prius and TCH have same hybrid technology, article should apply to TCH as well.

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1224

I am new owner of TCH and I am also learning Pulse and Glide. So far I am able to glide with speed around 50 KMH on straight streach about 3 kms. My problem is I am in small city and this is the longest city road without any light or turn.

I am pretty sure lots of people will respond to this post with glide time of more than couple of minutes.

Thanks and have a wonderful hybrid driving experience.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:33 AM
Malcontent

Well, you can definitely coast with the TCH but what's rare is being able to feather the brake pedal so that there are no arrows, i.e., no regeneration and no electricity flowing from the battery to the motors either.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:05 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Squint
Well, you can definitely coast with the TCH but what's rare is being able to feather the brake pedal so that there are no arrows, i.e., no regeneration and no electricity flowing from the battery to the motors either.
yes, you are 100% correct. I have seen no arrows for fraction of second. Hey just to keep my moral boosted.

Thanks