Rattle in roof on cold days

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 05:14 PM
TCH 2007 newbie May 07
Default Re: Rattle in roof on cold days

My roof noise started early this year after going over a long span bridge with a new but rough *ridged* concrete surface, which must have vibrated something loose.

The noise is the "large raindrops" the previous poster described (thanks for that!), and seems to only happen intermittantly, and only when there is a passenger in the front seat.

I can stop the noise by sliding the sunroof cover back and pulling down on the metal lip inside. I tried to wedge newspaper in there to see if that might stop it, no go.

I've decided to live with it for now *it is intermittant*, simply to not have the dealer botch something or create yet another problem.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

This stuff is just weird!

My noise has not come back *knock on wood -- forehead* since I slid open the sun roof completely and closed it again. Maybe something was just stuck up there?

I will continue to monitor.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Enthusiast

I just wanted to post an update. I picked up my car on Friday the 23rd so it's been 5 days and I have not heard the noise one time! I was excited they also replaced the broken items that had happened under their care. I looked on my invoice Mikie but I don't see a Toyota Bulletin # but I asked the Manager when the bulletin had came out (I had read somewhere online in Dec) They said they were just told of it... so must be new - or it was over looked last year when I started this journey. I left the invoice at home, but if you would like I can email it to you and maybe you can find it. My email is Keyria@gt.rr.com - just let me know. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the "_ _ _ _ _ _ " does not return I don't even wanna type the word.. <jinx> hehe Good Luck.

Oooh after I hit post - I then seen Eds post - I'm sure that your noise is the same as mine was... Hopefully this bulletin is the "fix"

Last edited by Keyria; 05-28-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Enthusiast

I have this exact issue. I get a rattle on the passenger side and light pressure near the sun visor stops it. I have a '08 w/ 15k miles. The service guy at my dealership said they would need time to take apart the entire assembly, which sounds like more like exploration rather than a known issue. I'm hesitant to loose an entire Saturday or more as they take apart the roof w/o knowing how to fix. Please post if you read this and have the same issue!

Originally Posted by Alexander
My 2007 Camry Hybrid roof rattles. The dealer has tried to numerous remedies like tightening anything that can be tightened and placing insulation in the roof area. Nothing works. The rattle comes from the front area of the roof just above the sun visor. If I put pressure on this area when it rattles it stops. Anyone have a similar issue?

Old 08-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Enthusiast

I have a 2008 Camry Hybrid with 3,000 miles on it, about a month ago it started making a clunking noise when I would make a right hand turn on to a road that has a bump. The noise sounds like it is coming from the roof. I took it to the dealership today, they had it for the whole day and then told me it was the seat belt bumping against the door. I told them that it couldn't be the case as my spouse was in the passenger seat last night with the seat belt on. They then told me that it must be coming from the roof and they were have to pull out the interior of the roof. I am freaking out and seriously worried that they will make matters worse. Any advise?

Old 08-28-2008, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by MrKnightley
I have a 2008 Camry Hybrid with 3,000 miles on it, about a month ago it started making a clunking noise when I would make a right hand turn on to a road that has a bump. The noise sounds like it is coming from the roof. I took it to the dealership today, they had it for the whole day and then told me it was the seat belt bumping against the door. I told them that it couldn't be the case as my spouse was in the passenger seat last night with the seat belt on. They then told me that it must be coming from the roof and they were have to pull out the interior of the roof. I am freaking out and seriously worried that they will make matters worse. Any advise?
Is it a "high" pitch clunk or lower? I have a problem with a piece of plastic under the glove box area (above where your feet would be). It is black and it is quite loose. Sometimes it makes a noise, others times it does not. I thought it was coming from the roof at first but after months (probably a year) of listening to it to figure it out I finally found it. I plan to try to take the piece off this weekend and line it with felt.

As far as the noise I had from my moon roof, I usually don't slide it open so the noise generally doesn't come back. I think it is not closing properly every time. I can live with using tilt only...I honestly find nearly no use for slid back.

Of note, the passenger side front seat belt buckle can get twisted and will make a knocking noise against the seat. If you just untwist it so it is straight that problem stops.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:04 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for your response it is a lower pitched clunk and only occurs when I go over a bump or turn right.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:25 PM

Thanks for your response it is a lower pitched clunk and only occurs when I go over a bump or turn right.
That turn right part is odd. I could see a bump causing a noise in the roof but a right turn? Are you sure it isn't coming from under the car or a wheel well?

Do you have a moon roof? If so, try sliding it open and closing it again to see if the noise stops.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Old 08-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Enthusiast

It is possible that it is coming from under the car, the service department felt that it was in the roof. When it happens when I turn right it is only when I go over a bump. If I turn left and go over a bump it doesn't occur, I know it sounds weird. It is a that dealership and they are going to have another look at it tomorrow, I am just at little nervous about them pulling out the roofing if it is not necessary. It does not sound like the other rattle problems that other people are posting about, just a clunking noise. Thanks again for your response.

Last edited by MrKnightley; 08-29-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:31 PM

It is possible that it is coming from under the car, the service department felt that it was in the roof. When it happens when I turn right it is only when I go over a bump turning right. If I turn left and go over a bump it doesn't occur, I know it sounds weird. It is a that dealership and they are going to have another look at it tomorrow, I am just a little nervous about them pulling out the roofing if it is not necessary. It does not sound like the other rattle problems that other people are posting about, just a clunking noise. Thanks again for your response.
Good luck Emma. I share your worry. I am having the audio AUX TSB applied tomorrow and I am afraid them causing more problems. It is frightening!

With that said, the hardest problems to diagnose and solve are those related to sound/noise.

Quick Reply: Rattle in roof on cold days

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands