Re-set maintenance computer

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re-set maintenance computer

Hello,
I have changed oil and filter for my hybrid. When I tried to follow the instruction listed on the owner's manual to re-set the maintenance computer, it did not work. Can anyone advise me how to get it work. Thanks.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:21 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Re-set maintenance computer

Is this what you did to reset the maintenance reminder?

Resetting the engine oil maintenance

The engine oil maintenance data must be
reset after replacement of the engine oil.
Reset the data by the following procedure:
1. Turn off the hybrid system with the trip
meter A reading shown.
For details, see “—Odometer and two trip
meters” on page 138 in this Section.
2. The “POWER” switch must be set at
ON while holding down the trip meter
reset ****. A message “OIL MILEAGE
RESET MODE” will appear on the display.
3. Hold down the **** at least 5 seconds.
A message “COMPLETE” will appear
and the message “OIL MILEAGE
RESET MODE” goes off.

If this is what you did you may want to try it again...I also believe you have to hold the **** down prior to turning the car to the ON position. Hope this helps.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you for your advice. I have finally reseted the maintenance computer. The first step is to set it to Trip A and turn off the power. Then hold the **** down for more than 5 seconds while turning the power on with the foot on the brake. Wait until the word "Complete" shows up before releasing the holding down on the ****.

Last edited by hybrid2; 02-11-2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:37 PM
Toyota & Mazda Enthusiast

What a pain in the rear! Why don't they remind us of something more than an interval. Idiot lights are designed by idiots.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:31 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hybrid2
Hello,
I have changed oil and filter for my hybrid. When I tried to follow the instruction listed on the owner's manual to re-set the maintenance computer, it did not work. Can anyone advise me how to get it work. Thanks.
Do you know if this "resetting" is only needed for the TCH or does it need to be done on the regular gas engine Camrys as well after an oil change?

The reason why I ask is because I bought a 2007 Camry SE the other day. The finance guy handling our papers tried pushing the extended service warranty (which I did not buy), and told my wife and I that since most cars are controlled electronically now....even oil changes need to be done by the dealer or else it would void our warranty. He said that oil changes require some sort of computer hooked up to the Camry to do some diagnostics or resetting.

I've been doing oil changes and the easier self-maintenance items that can be done at home since I began driving back in high school, so this came as quite a shock to me.

Was he just blowing smoke or was he correct?

I cannot see what would need to be reset on the gas engine camrys along with an engine oil change....

Anyone got ideas?

Thanks

Khanh

Old 03-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The dealer is blowing smoke up your butt and yes I believe you need to reset the maintenance reminder on your vehicle. The owners manual should explain how to do it...

Congrats on the purchase.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:42 PM

Ditto. That's why they're called "Lie-nance Managers!" Actually, it's a piece of cake to reset. You just have to wait for the actual reminder message to appear on the TCH, then you can reset it. Doing it early will not reset the system as I found out. Right at 5000 mi start-up in my driveway, the message appeared like clockwork.

No Toyota computer or OBDII device needed to clear the message from memory. Other programmable features, yes... but this system, no. I still cannot believe that managers are spouting that kind of lie. Just keep an organized record of your labor (spreadsheet) and all parts receipts for any warranty coverage issue that may rarely pop-up. Federal law affords consumers the right to service ANY new vehicle at ANY qualified mechanic or by a competant consumer. Dealers don't like to loose revenue, so they scare you to the bones.... jeez... someone report that fool Lie-nance manager please!!!

Old 03-13-2007, 12:54 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by martinmzfan
Ditto. That's why they're called "Lie-nance Managers!" Actually, it's a piece of cake to reset. You just have to wait for the actual reminder message to appear on the TCH, then you can reset it. Doing it early will not reset the system as I found out. Right at 5000 mi start-up in my driveway, the message appeared like clockwork.

No Toyota computer or OBDII device needed to clear the message from memory. Other programmable features, yes... but this system, no. I still cannot believe that managers are spouting that kind of lie. Just keep an organized record of your labor (spreadsheet) and all parts receipts for any warranty coverage issue that may rarely pop-up. Federal law affords consumers the right to service ANY new vehicle at ANY qualified mechanic or by a competant consumer. Dealers don't like to loose revenue, so they scare you to the bones.... jeez... someone report that fool Lie-nance manager please!!!
So the "reminder message" actually does appear (at 5K miles), but it CAN be reset...correct?

I tend to do my oil changes well before 5K miles (right at around 3K miles). It sounds like I can continue to do this without resetting anything until the actual "reminder message" light comes up. Does it come up every 5K miles as a reminder to change your oil?

Thanks for your input.

Regards,
Khanh

Old 03-13-2007, 01:09 PM

Yes and yes. That is all correct. Follow the above-stated instructions. Thanks to the poster! Just remember to keep careful records of ALL your work no matter how minor it is. I log in my spreadsheet when blades are replaced. Keep all receipts too until the car is sold. I changed mine too at 3K to Mobile1 and then the message came on at 5K.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by khanh007
Do you know if this "resetting" is only needed for the TCH or does it need to be done on the regular gas engine Camrys as well after an oil change?...Khanh
My 2004 Camry XLE has similar setting. I just hold down the trip odometer reset button for 5 seconds while the tota miles odometer is displaying to turn off the Service light.

Quick Reply: Re-set maintenance computer

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands