Replacing front grill

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 12:17 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Replacing front grill

n8kwx — The TCH's thermostat remains closed until the ICE's water temperature reaches ~82 degrees C. In cold weather it doesn't reach such temperatures under in-town driving conditions (using my ScanGaugeII to monitor the water temperature). So, the car's radiator remains cold — feel it after a drive! I don't think there's any point in fitting a "grille blocker."

Stan

Old 02-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
n8kwx - I will put up some pictures...as soon as I get the car! I am trying to plan this all out while I wait...gives me something to look forward to. Of course after I see the stock grill I might just light that...we'll see!
Another alternative is to just add some genuine 'imitation chrome' to the lower grille.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:35 PM

MickeysPal - looks pretty slick! What did you use for the "imitation chrome"? My TCH is black.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

^they sell the kit on ebay.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:45 PM

How about painting the lower grill(s) "argent*" to match the upper grill, then add the chrome? (*or what ever color the upper grill backgound is)

Thoughts?

Old 02-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL
n8kwx — The TCH's thermostat remains closed until the ICE's water temperature reaches ~82 degrees C. In cold weather it doesn't reach such temperatures under in-town driving conditions (using my ScanGaugeII to monitor the water temperature). So, the car's radiator remains cold — feel it after a drive! I don't think there's any point in fitting a "grille blocker."

Stan
I will try feeling the radiator sometime. My commute is an hour so it does have every chance to warm up. (I should get a scan gauge!)

A side benefit with blocking the grille, is that my engine might stay cleaner. No more salt sprays all winter long!

Old 02-20-2007, 08:49 PM
Malcontent

I don't have any experience with radiator blocking but when looking into it, read that reducing the airflow into the engine compartment reduced heat loss. So there might be some benefit to blocking the radiator or grill even if no water is being pumped through the radiator.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
MickeysPal - looks pretty slick! What did you use for the "imitation chrome"? My TCH is black.
Ebay...

2007 TOYOTA CAMRY LOWER GRILLE CHROME TRIM KIT
and
2007 TOYOTA CAMRY FOG LIGHT GRILLE CHROME TRIM KIT

The seller is zoozoo_5

Old 02-21-2007, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by MickeysPal
Ebay...

2007 TOYOTA CAMRY LOWER GRILLE CHROME TRIM KIT
and
2007 TOYOTA CAMRY FOG LIGHT GRILLE CHROME TRIM KIT

The seller is zoozoo_5
Thanks.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by n8kwx
A side benefit with blocking the grille, is that my engine might stay cleaner. No more salt sprays all winter long!
I'm not sure what the grille blocking material is made out of but what has worked very well in my Ford Ranger (and gave it a cool look) is using some very fine aluminum screen to back the grille. All the required supplies are very cheap at the local hardware store. It wouldn't keep it warm but has helped with rocks, salt, and other foreign object making their way into the engine compartment.

Quick Reply: Replacing front grill

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands