ReTired

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default ReTired

Not sure if I'm gloating or blowing off steam.....

When I put new tires on the 07 TCH a couple of years ago, I saved the "best" tire of the old Mich OEM tires. I since sold the 07 and bought an 09.

Last weekend I found a nail in the tread of one of the tires and took it to Firestone for a patch. They have done a lot of work for me (4 cars).

They told me it was too close to the sidwall for repair. I asked them to wait while I retreived my extra tire from storage. The manager told me that they wouldn't mount a used tire... too much liability. Of course, I realized that they would offer to sell me a Mich Tire at a big premium or try to get me to go for new tires all the way around. The manager had an "I've got you over a barrel" attitude. I thanked them and took the car back without a fix.

I retretived the tire and went to another Firestone dealer closer to our storage building. He happily mounted and balanced the tire. $20 for that deal sure beats (about) $200 for a new tire and $800 for a new set!

I'm glad that I kept the old tire and that it matched the new car perfectly.
Too bad for the first Firestone dealer. He lost a good customer forever. It wasn't what he said.... It was how he said it.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:16 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: ReTired

Originally Posted by Scooters
The manager told me that they wouldn't mount a used tire... too much liability.
We switch to snows every year at his time - and back to all season in March. Never had a problem.