Revving the Engine in Park

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Revving the Engine in Park

When I got my TCH I immediately realized that you can't rev the ICE when you are in park like you can a regular car.

But, today when I pulled slowly into the garage in stealth (electric) mode, I put the car in park and the car just sat there quietly in electric mode. I thought hmmm...what would happen if I hit the gas? Well, when I did the ICE did start, and the engine would rev just a little, then it would quit. And each time I would hit the gas it would always do the same thing. The ICE would start and run just momentarily. Now why would it do that in park? Why would the ICE start at all in park just because I hit the gas pedal? And then why would it shut back off after just a few seconds?

Old 03-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Revving the Engine in Park

After having my TCH for six months I realized that the ICE can start and stop for reasons that have nothing to with "reving " the engine. For example, the ICE will start even though the car is in reverse because it needs to warm up the catalytic converter or to charge the batteries. Now I just enjoy how different the TCH really is from a conventional car

Old 03-10-2007, 07:01 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons
Default Re: Revving the Engine in Park

If you had stepped on the throttle lightly, the ICE would not have started.

When you "hit the gas" the throttle position sensor told the ECU that you were going to need more power than EV mode would be able to support on it's own.

BTW - your "Revving" days are over as long as you're driving a TCH..