Road Trip & Millage

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Road Trip & Millage

My, rather tongue-in-cheek, reply wasn't directed at any post in particular (definitely not yours).
I've read many posts throughout this, and other, forums where people advocate driving at a specific speed (something like 46 MPH on the highway). Not sure what that speed was, but it was significantly below the speed limit.
I meant no offense, and apologize if were interpreted as such.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by haroldo
My, rather tongue-in-cheek, reply wasn't directed at any post in particular (definitely not yours).
I've read many posts throughout this, and other, forums where people advocate driving at a specific speed (something like 46 MPH on the highway). Not sure what that speed was, but it was significantly below the speed limit.
Thanks.

It's not up to you to apologize for the way I interpret a posting. But many times people do not read, or misunderstand what is written. I strive for clarity in my writing and admit I miss.

I don't think I've run into (no pun intended) your postings, so I'm not familiar with your style.

Anyway, it's good to have a fierce discussion.

Thanks again.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
This is what I was thinking of as well. I guess I've been reading too many Prius forums. Please disregard my previous post if it does not apply. I did not mean to upset anybody.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by GreenRedTCH
This is what I was thinking of as well. I guess I've been reading too many Prius forums. Please disregard my previous post if it does not apply. I did not mean to upset anybody.
Hmm. You know, you may have a point which I never considered because, well, I assume everyone on this site has the same goal - the best mileage possible. But, you're onto something: Prius drivers might be more intense and more rigid in our approach. I have in mind, for example that as one approaches 0 mph, gas consumption goes down. Hence, at 0 mph, fuel consumption approaches 0 also.

Well, just a Prius drivers viewpoint.

Thanks

Last edited by centrider; 12-28-2008 at 06:13 PM. Reason: complete message
Old 12-29-2008, 01:35 AM

We all start out that way...I was obsessed when I first got the toy(ota).
But I stepped back and thought about the numbers and realized how ridiculous I had become. I couldn't imagine telling a business associate or relative that I had done "such and such" just so I could save a few bucks a month on gas. The numbers look great, but if one were truly interested in saving money, there are hundreds of more efficient ways to get around.
In any event, just a little bit from 'the other side'.
Happy motoring...er...sorry, coasting!

Old 12-29-2008, 04:05 AM

Mine is a routine evening drive to town and back. It's a 8 mile trip on a wide 4-lane highway with little traffic. It's a 55 zone so my going 45 mph to town and 42 back home at night pays off. Even with some 38/40 mph city driving and a few red lights my best tank was 57 mpg. Here we are in late December with the night home temperature at 37 degrees. I'm near half a tank and still hanging in their at 51 mpg.

My point is any trips out of town I drive 60 with the cruise on a 4-lane. If on I-10 or I-40 I would drive 65 and at times and 70 only if a group of cars came a ways behind me.

I drove a '89 stick shift 4-cyl Chevy Cavalier to Los Angeles to Los Angeles and back on a two week vacation. Just me and the wife and some luggage. I drove 60 and took my time as all the highways were 4-lane. I did use some of the shoulder anytime I saw a truck in the rear view mirror approaching. That was a long time ago, but my best was 42 mpg crossing New Mexico and averaged 40 for the trip. We drove out on I-40 and returned on I-10. Not bad for a boring 60 miles per hour. I thought the fast and furious LA traffic would pull my mileage down. All those highway miles over rode the low mpg LA driving.

Last edited by rburt07; 12-29-2008 at 04:18 AM.