Roof racks??

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:24 AM
blahhhhhh!
Default Re: Roof racks??

This is the rack I used with my envoy. I didn't really like it very much because it was a pain in the *** for me to get up on top of the SUV (I'm only 5'3") I guess with a car it wouldn't be as much of a problem, but in general the setup felt a little wobbly and I was always afraid my kayak was going to fly off into oncoming traffic.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:34 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KTLane
I was looking at an 04 off lease 9-3... It actually got better gas mileage on the test drive (I was pushing it too) than I've been getting with my hybrid. And it was a 5 speed! Oh how I miss driving a car with a manual tranny.
Both of my Saab's are (were) 5-speed's. I really liked them.........especially on the Autobahn in Germany back in '87. I had it up to 130 and it handled that very well............for a 2.0L 4cycl engine. I loved it.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:23 PM
blahhhhhh!

Originally Posted by CJO2007CamryHyb
Both of my Saab's are (were) 5-speed's. I really liked them.........especially on the Autobahn in Germany back in '87. I had it up to 130 and it handled that very well............for a 2.0L 4cycl engine. I loved it.
well, they ARE born from jets

Old 01-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KTLane
well, they ARE born from jets
Yes.........they are! I have the Saab history book from my trip to the Gothenburg Sweden delivery center to pick my 900S up back in '87. Saab Scania also makes the Viggen Aircraft and buses etc.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CJO2007CamryHyb
Yes.........they are! I have the Saab history book from my trip to the Gothenburg Sweden delivery center to pick my 900S up back in '87. Saab Scania also makes the Viggen Aircraft and buses etc.
They haven't been born from Jets in a long time. Now they are born from Chevy Trailblazers and Subaru's...

Old 01-18-2008, 05:47 AM
blahhhhhh!

Originally Posted by n8kwx
They haven't been born from Jets in a long time. Now they are born from Chevy Trailblazers and Subaru's...
It was a stab in the heart the day I found out Saab and GM merged. It made me think twice about buying one. My envoy (which I bought new in March 07) broke down with 6000 mi on the odometer in May. Then right before I sold it, I kept getting LOW TIRE PRESSURE warnings when I had 40+ psi in all tires. Never mind that if you looked at it the wrong way, you'd be rewarded with paint chips and scratches up the wazoo.

no thank you, American cars, I don't care how good your warranties are and how cheap you are. The Dodge lifetime warranty is probably there for a reason, and the $10,000 cash back I've seen some places is like a desperate cry for help. But, I digress.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:36 AM
Enthusiast

Hi,
yes i have.
i had a jetta with roof rack included and when i bought the camry i ask the dealer to include a roof rack.

so i ended with a thule 400XT Aero Foot | LB50 Load Bars | 2179 Fit Kit.

easy to put and remove. ( for long trip )
the only problem, noisy when your speed > 30mph

i don't kown if its comming from the square bar or the attachment.

pascal

Last edited by pgnyc; 01-18-2008 at 08:39 AM. Reason: more info
Old 01-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Enthusiast

oh i forget,
ask for the weight limit of the system.
the thule is limited to 150 pound ( my jetta was 300)

between ikea and home depot, its easy to overload !!!!

Old 01-18-2008, 10:01 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

KTLane — Whatever roof rack you install (and I can't advise you there, but roof racks have been discussed before in this forum — a search should turn it up), be aware that there are special depressions molded into the upper part of the door frame to accommodate the rack mounts without interfering with door closing or weatherstripping.

Stan

Old 01-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Enthusiast

I got my TCH in July 2006, and had to call Yakima to get the part numbers of their clips, etc.... I put the bars on and mounted a 16 cu ft Pro Sports box on top (it's about the size of a sport kayak). I use it for skiing and have taken it up to Whistler a couple times. Wind noise is minimal, even without the fairing. It can handle 150 lbs on the Camry, I believe. I'm very pleased with the system, and my TCH handles the snow great!

Quick Reply: Roof racks??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands