Silence the trac battery vent

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Silence the trac battery vent

Hello,

Does anyone have any bright ideas on silencing the trac battery vent? I tried to remove the plastic cover and only made things worse by breaking one of the clips....oye.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 04-17-2008, 05:06 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Silence the trac battery vent

From what, rattles or the fan noise? If fan noise, I suspect it is a bad idea to disable the fan.

I am pretty sure I have never heard any noise at all from my battery vent.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:28 AM

I have a rattle in the back shelf area as well. I took it all apart months ago, and was not able to silence it. It is hard to hear from the driver's seat unless I have the bass and volume way up on a bass-heavy song, so I have not bothered to take it to the dealer for this. The occasional back seat passengers have been very polite by not mentioning it! If someone does find an easy fix, I am all ears! thx

Old 04-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Hello,

Does anyone have any bright ideas on silencing the trac battery vent? I tried to remove the plastic cover and only made things worse by breaking one of the clips....oye.

Thanks,
Mike
I never hear any noise back there so I never gave any thought to it.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Enthusiast

A can of spray foam does wonders lol!!

Old 04-18-2008, 03:43 AM

I noticed a very minor vibration from the vent.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:02 AM

Hi everyone, sorry for the delayed response...work has kept me busy and subquently out of trouble.

Anyhow, I have two types of noise. The first is a rattle from the visible plastic shell during some types of bass -- not all types though. The second is a metal vibration that I think is coming from a the battery cover but I have not yet attempted to remove the cover, if it is even removable.

To address the plastic shell, I am going to attempt to remove it...without breaking anymore of the clips because I am sure this is a $100 part...and line it with felt -- completely.

If I can get the metal battery cover off, I am not sure what to do because I would not want to start a fire by putting felt under there if it gets warm. I am thinking some rubber pipe insulation (sticky on one side). Similar to what many of use have used to eliminate the dash noise in cold weather.

We'll see if I ever get time to do this...right now I am trying to schedule time to wash my poor car...I might just spend the couple hundred to detail it.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:32 AM

did you call the dealer and see if they have a TSB or some other thing to address this?

Old 04-18-2008, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by haroldo
did you call the dealer and see if they have a TSB or some other thing to address this?
No, which could be worth a try; however, my dealership has a hard time finding TSBs that I give them a number for! I don't think I have seen any for this noise out of all the TSBs dealing with noises.

This is something I would expect because it is caused by bass and during audio off or low bass I don't hear it. (Except for the metal battery cover.)

Old 04-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Enthusiast

I just installed a subwoofer in my car and that vent cover is definitely the source of the rattle I have been hunting down during heavy bass notes. I just tried to remove it but I could not figure out how to get the rear tabs out without breaking them. If you figure out how to get that cover off without destroying it please let us know. I have some spare Dynamat laying around that is just itching to adhere itself to the underside of that cover.

Quick Reply: Silence the trac battery vent

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands