Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Squeaking in the center console - mine is b-a-a-a-a-a-ck... (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/squeaking-center-console-mine-b-ck-10963/)

HybridFan 11-11-2006 01:19 AM

Squeaking in the center console - "it's b-a-a-a-a-a-ck..."

Yes, I could tack on yet another post to the main/original thread (https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/squeaking-in-the-center-console.7908.html) but it seemed to get rather long for new forum members joining as of late... so here's a summary (with potentially some pertinent omissions, so my apologies beforehand):

There were a couple of good suggestions for getting rid of the the center console's squeaking (which about half of the TCH owners were reporting, per an earlier poll). These included:
  • Posts #27 & #30 (flopshot) --> greaet attempt, but not quite enough in the end... the "crickets having sex" (as fullofbeans coined it later on) eventually came back.<
  • Post #43 (Nash) --> variation on the theme, this time using silicone grease.<
  • Post #63 (lovekills) --> another good description, mostly based on flopshot's original approach but with some twists (note: there were also quite a few other variants throughout the thread, mostly dealing with the type of "filler" material)<
  • Post #136 (bernt) --> brought it to the dealer & introduced a new idea: the culprit could be the clear sub-assembly underneath the shift cover plate itself instead of the actual cover plate's "fit". See: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ion.10576.html. Unfortunately there were no pictures or "first-hand" evidence so the description/solution was not well defined as yet.<
  • Posts #141 and #143 (martinmzfan) --> a new "do it yourself" approach, this time based on the clear sub-assembly instead of the shift cover plate (as with #136).<
After a several of trials and errors, I ultimatelly ended up following both major methods (pads in between console & plate, and weatherstripping the two small "joints" on the clear sub-assembly).

The fix worked wonderfully!!!.... that is, until today -- just 2 weeks later, when I heard it faintly coming back... louder and louder as the day went by. :angry:

Mind you, we just got a "hot spell" here in South TX today: it was in the mid-80's again, and quite humid... so it could be all related to the weather.

Has anyone else had the noise come back after the fix(es) above? Does anyone have an alternate method not mentioned in the original thread? I'm getting desperate and wondering what will happen once the fall/winter season is over.

jbollt 11-11-2006 06:55 AM

Re: Squeaking in the center console - mine is b-a-a-a-a-a-ck...

Currently at 5,500 miles. I fixed squeek several thousand miles ago (at about 2,500 miles), with the small round felt pads, and it is still quiet. We have also had warm temps, mid 80s, and no squeek.

bmgoodman 11-11-2006 02:24 PM

Re: Squeaking in the center console - "it's b-a-a-a-a-a-ck..."

I had the dealer add foam per martinmzfan's pics: https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/image2104.html and https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/image2103.html. My dealer did this a few days ago and the crickets are wonderfully silent. Now, even if I give a small sideways push on the center console, I get no noise. Will it last? Not sure, but I'll keep you updated.

martinmzfan 11-11-2006 06:10 PM

Hi everyone! I'm exstatic that my pics came in handy -- even for dealers!! The parts do not really have to be replaced. Guys, after several attempts at pinpointing the source of plastic squeaks in the cover sub-assmebly, I found extra troublespots:

1) at the clear plastic assembly "legs" on both sides -- add foam
2) about 1 inch to the right of the bottom clips, the clear assembly rubs against the cover above the corner -- near beveled/curved section -- add foam

The clear sub-assembly is doing us all in! It expands and contracts with temperature extremes and is not firmly clamped (by friction fit) in the gear cover assembly. My repair is successful. DON'T GIVE UP!!!%&^*%^&%

Sorry, I would have posted updated photos showing the other troublespots but did not feel like taking the cover off again! Lazy me!

fullofbeans 11-11-2006 09:42 PM

Mating season has returned. My amorous crickets are back. I have an appt. for this Fri. I'm taking it to another dealer. This dealer goofed up trying to fix a rattle I have near the right speaker in the dash. this will be my 7th visit back to the dealer to get warranty fixes on squeaky brakes, this noisy console, and the dash. I aslo had to go back once since the dealer scratched up my shifter plate, when attacking the cantankerous crickets so that had to be replaced. This squeaky console problem sure most be costing Toyota a bit of cash. Both of the hybrid mechanics in Ottawa, Canada have only dealt with my squeaky car so far. They also tell me that Toyota Canada hasn't released a TSB on this.

wallpad 11-13-2006 09:01 AM

My crickets have returned as well, after only a week.

nash 11-13-2006 10:00 AM

My console has been quiet for several months now!

I'm keeping martinmzfan's post bookmarked just incase I have to go back in and do another fix. But so far, silence is golden.

bmgoodman 11-13-2006 10:44 AM

I think you should contact Toyota and provide them with the same detailed info you posted here. Maybe they can name the TSB after you! Thanks again!

acco20 11-13-2006 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by nash
My console has been quiet for several months now!

I'm keeping martinmzfan's post bookmarked just incase I have to go back in and do another fix. But so far, silence is golden.

how do you bookmark on this forum. I have been looking for it and do not see it.Thanks........

nash 11-13-2006 11:58 AM

Right click on the black #10 (for this post) on the upper right side of the post and select bookmark this link

I use firefox. If this doesn't work for you, click the black #10 and a new page will open with just that post, and bookmark it however your browser does it.

acco20 11-13-2006 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by nash
Right click on the black #10 (for this post) on the upper right side of the post and select bookmark this link

I use firefox. If this doesn't work for you, click the black #10 and a new page will open with just that post, and bookmark it however your browser does it.

Thank you, got it.

HybridFan 12-04-2006 09:30 AM

bmgoodman, nash, martinmzfan: how'z it holding so far???

fullofbeans, wallpad: any updates since your last posts?

My crickets are definitely back; I'm just waiting on the right time to get in there and perform yet another "operation" on that @#$% console...

nash 12-04-2006 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by HybridFan (Post 101332)
bmgoodman, nash, martinmzfan: how'z it holding so far???

Silence is golden :D Not a peep from those pesky crickets in over 3 months. :)

bmgoodman 12-04-2006 10:33 AM

[quote=HybridFan;101332]bmgoodman, nash, martinmzfan: how'z it holding so far???

So far, mine is silent also. I'm particularly pleased lately as the temps have fallen into the 40s and 30s that it's working so well. I will definitely post back here should the crickets ever return.

HybridFan 12-04-2006 10:54 AM

Nash & bmgoodman, thanks for the prompt replies... I guess this leaves me with no other option but to "get back in there again" and re-do the operation (following the posts from martinmzfan and ToyotaCarFan). Wish me luck!

martinmzfan 12-04-2006 07:48 PM

Howdy guys! My last attempt was very successful! As observed, the clear sub-assembly is rubbing against the main cover. Install some foam strips BETWEEN the clear assembly and main cover bottom clips, side "legs" and area above the slit on the clear assembly -- place foam under to insulate against the cover plate. Also place some foam at the corner of the clear assembly going up from the slit.

Hope this helps. If someone wants a new picture, I guess I can pull off the assembly again for ya!

HybridFan 12-04-2006 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by martinmzfan (Post 101451)
Hope this helps. If someone wants a new picture, I guess I can pull off the assembly again for ya!

Can I take you up on that offer? I'm kind of a "visual" person, so all these descriptions of "legs", "clips", "posts" and "thingamajiggies" are hard to follow at times (and no, I'm not particularly referring to your post but to all posts out there in general).

Just a single picture of your newly/updated re-touched assembly's underside (like last time: https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/image2103.html) will more than suffice, thanks beforehand!

Mike0Ryan 12-15-2006 09:00 PM

I've been playing around with the center console in anticipation of taking on the crickets, and maybe can add a couple of observations

1. I have found that the crickets are silenced as long as the back end of the console cover is popped up. I drove for weeks with it like that and never had any squeaks (even when I forcefully shook the console side to side).

2. It seems that the crickets don't return immediately when the console cover is reinstalled. I've removed and replaced it several times without making any changes, and it generally takes several days or even weeks for the noise to return.

I do intend to try the latest "fix" as soon as I get a better idea of what it really entails...

HVMercado 12-16-2006 09:27 AM

I have a series of noises in my cabin. I here them in the door panels, the console and sometimes the sterring colum. Should I remove everything from the glove box and inside from the cabin for that matter to demonstrate to the dealer the amount of sqweaks that are taking place well under 3 months.

BTW does anyone hav LoJack installed? I am curious as some of the sqweaks crept up after the dealer installed mine.

fullofbeans 12-19-2006 06:13 AM

Here's an update. My dealer is giving up on fixing the rattle. They did stop the crickets though. They ordered a new console. It's coming from Kentucky. The tech. mentioned that the order sheet for the new center console showed this as a modified product. He doesn't know how but the replacement consoles are different from the original. I don't know when the modified part was used on the production line.

My car was an early one. It's one of the first 3000 of the line. it was in the 2800's. I've had to bring this car back for noises a bunch of times., the brakes needed shimming, rattle in the dash that required two visits. and I had two dealers go into my console 6 times and I went for 4 tests drives with them. I never realized how patient I could be!

They also tell me that Toyota Canada has tech. service bulletin on the console that has been announced. Both dealers tell me I'm their first case. But I did speak to another TCH owner who was in getting an oil change, who agreed with me that his console was a little noisy. He didn't seem too concerned though.

HybridFan 12-19-2006 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by fullofbeans (Post 103379)
Here's an update. My dealer is giving up on fixing the rattle. They did stop the crickets though. They ordered a new console. It's coming from Kentucky. The tech. mentioned that the order sheet for the new center console showed this as a modified product. He doesn't know how but the replacement consoles are different from the original. I don't know when the modified part was used on the production line. [...] They also tell me that Toyota Canada has tech. service bulletin on the console that has been announced. Both dealers tell me I'm their first case.

TSB!!! We desperately need a TSB!!! My crickets are back again after fiddling with it last week (based on latest posts).

Also, for anyone out there who still cares... Here's yet another "theory" on where the noise comes from (at least in my case). I disassembled both the clear plastic and the PNRDB "strip" from the panel, then inspected the remaining "bare cover": my particular sqweak is due to the silver "underside" sub-panel around the gear shift hole which is "glued" to the main panel / cover. I can definitely reproduce that noise over & over again by slightly bending the last remaining two plates back & forth, and NO amount of felt or weatherstripping material can fix THAT #$% issue. I'm stuck with having to ask for a replacement, which will be oh-so much easier (and quicker) to obtain once a TSB is out there.

fullofbeans 12-20-2006 07:06 PM

Whoa! I owe everyone an apology.

I just reread my post that another member quoted. I was multi tasking at that time.

Toyota Canada has NOT released a TSB on the squeaky / rattling center console issue.

Sorry for misleading you. They def. should though. This must def. be the most widespread complaint about the car.

sorry again.

fullofbeans 01-05-2007 03:07 PM

just a quick update. The dealer put the new center console into my car yesterday. It was the modified one out of the Kentucky plant. the tech was unable to determine what the modification was though. I seems quite so far. But I'm not coming to any conclusions yet. Time will tell.

fullofbeans 01-10-2007 07:06 PM

My new center console rattles as well. I just got off the phone with Toyota Canada. They will call me back. There only hybrid techs at my dealer mon to fri. 8 - 4. kind of makes it harder for me. I'll be calling my dealer again for another appt to bring the car back in. I believe this will be the 14th time I've brought this car back in for squeaks, rattles, brake shimming, insulating foam being inserted and reinserted in the dash, etc... I should start charging them for my time.

r_beagle69 01-11-2007 11:16 AM

I took my TCH to the dealer 3 weeks ago with printouts of these threads and Martinmzfan's wonderful pictures and recommendations for use of felt, as I was having the squeaks, especially when it was cold outside. A Google search on this problem is how I found this bulletin board in the first place.

The dealer indicated that Toyota had put out a "notice" about this cricket/squeak problem as well (he didn't say TSB though, only that they had put out a "notice").

Anyway, they followed the instructions in Martinmzfan's pictures and description and the noise went away completely - until today. The squeak was back this morning as it was 19degrees outside, although it was not as noisy as before when it was that cold in the morning.

I'll be trying the new d-i-y techniques that have subsequently been recommended to hopefully eliminate the crickets once and for all.

But, special thanks to Martinmzfan for all the help!! ;)

elsifer 01-14-2007 08:19 AM

Have not yet dealt with the crickets yet - so I'm not sure if this'll work - but here's an idea.

Instead of using just foam or felt, buy a small package of foam earplugs and cut a piece from them bigger than you want them to be. The earplug foam is made to compress and then expand to fit the area. Glue or attach them however you do (I think I'd use rubber cement), and then, just before putting the assembly back together, compress the foam so that it'll fit ok.

You'll have to put the assembly back quickly, like 30 seconds, so that the foam will uncompress within the assembled piece.

As I said, I haven't tried this, but I bet it would work. If someone tries this, I want to hear about it.

bmgoodman 01-15-2007 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by elsifer (Post 106452)
Have not yet dealt with the crickets yet - so I'm not sure if this'll work - but here's an idea.

Instead of using just foam or felt, buy a small package of foam earplugs and cut a piece from them bigger than you want them to be. The earplug foam is made to compress and then expand to fit the area. Glue or attach them however you do (I think I'd use rubber cement), and then, just before putting the assembly back together, compress the foam so that it'll fit ok.

You'll have to put the assembly back quickly, like 30 seconds, so that the foam will uncompress within the assembled piece.

As I said, I haven't tried this, but I bet it would work. If someone tries this, I want to hear about it.

Seems like a good idea, and certainly MUCH better than what I thought was coming when I first read "buy...earplugs". ;)

elsifer 01-15-2007 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by bmgoodman (Post 106623)
"buy...earplugs"

:rolleyes:

benny 01-25-2007 09:45 AM

Well, after a week of owning my TCH, I noticed the front dash rattle. Before I bought the car I called the dealer and talked to the service manager. I asked specifically about the dash rattle and he told me that the newer Toyotas had the problem resolved. Grrr... I printed out the pictures that were posted and will take it to the dealer this week. --Benny

OmegaOmega 01-25-2007 02:31 PM

First - thank you all for such a great and thorough forum post/threads.

I just purchased my TCH just under a month ago and at 600 miles started to hear the elusive squeeks I kept reading about. Honestly at first, I was expecting some major loud racket, so I overlooked the small squeek/rattle from the center console until someone pointed it out. Now, it kills me everytime i hear it, and sometimes I feel like lowering the deductible on my insurance and driving off a cliff.

BUT, my questions is - is the problem covered under the manu. warranty? Do dealerships have a fix for this?

I realize a lawyer would probably be driving a BMW, but are there any on this forum that can provide insight better than speculation?

kris 01-25-2007 02:44 PM

The dealer will fix it for free as long as the car is under warranty. Simple as that.

OmegaOmega 01-25-2007 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by kris (Post 109138)
The dealer will fix it for free as long as the car is under warranty. Simple as that.

I purchased my vehicle in Oregon and currently reside in San Francisco. When i called City Center Toyota they indicated that it has to be a defect to schedule a warranty repair. Do I just try another dealer or pursue it with Toyota?

kris 01-25-2007 05:28 PM

Squeeking noise is defective. Go to another dealership.

alexvarkey 01-25-2007 06:03 PM

All,
I had the same problem for my car purchased in May 06.I talked to Toyota customer care.They asked me to take to my dealer.The dealer told me they fixed the problem and the next day the problem came back.

So the second time I took the pictures I got from this thread and took them to the dealer and have them do it again.
It was a warranty repair and I was not charged a single penny for both the visits.
Thank God I did not hear the squeak for over a month now.

Apart from that I did not have any problems with my TCH so far.
:D

benny 01-25-2007 08:33 PM

Well, my wife took the car in today and it didn't rattle (doesn't that figure?) . She tried to show the pictures to the dealer and he didn't want to look at them! I'll give them a chance to fix it and if they don't I'll shove the pictures under his nose.

He also told my wife that he "never heard of this problem before" which means that a) he's lying or b) he's clueless.

The irony is that the car is so quiet that I probably wouldn't have noticed it on a normal car.

We'll see. --Benny

OmegaOmega 01-26-2007 10:35 AM

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS! "Never heard of the problem before"!?! The insolence!

That was pretty much the same response I got when I tried to call and schedule an appointment. He indicated he wasn't aware of any 'common sound/squeek problems and that it's not a warranty issue"

benny 01-26-2007 11:40 PM

I'm out of town but my wife picked up the car today. Apparently they knew all about the foam rubber solution because they did it, and they also fixed a squeak in the gearshift with foam rubber that I didn't notice. It was covered under the warranty (I would have been really ticked off if they hadn't since I just bought the car last week!). My wife drove it and said the squek was gone.

I think the service guy was just being thick. Before I got the car I had called the service manager and asked him, in a vague way, "Have you ever heard of any problems with the Camry?" He answered, "Oh, you must be talking about the front console squeak and the transmission trouble." (This is before I was considering a hybrid). So they knew about it. --Benny

OmegaOmega 01-29-2007 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by benny (Post 109364)
I'm out of town but my wife picked up the car today. Apparently they knew all about the foam rubber solution because they did it, and they also fixed a squeak in the gearshift with foam rubber that I didn't notice. It was covered under the warranty (I would have been really ticked off if they hadn't since I just bought the car last week!). My wife drove it and said the squek was gone.

I think the service guy was just being thick. Before I got the car I had called the service manager and asked him, in a vague way, "Have you ever heard of any problems with the Camry?" He answered, "Oh, you must be talking about the front console squeak and the transmission trouble." (This is before I was considering a hybrid). So they knew about it. --Benny

:omg: Transmission trouble?:embarass: What transmission trouble?

tnsig 01-29-2007 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by OmegaOmega (Post 109749)
:omg: Transmission trouble?:embarass: What transmission trouble?

I'm sure he was talking about the transmission problems in non hybrid Camry. Nothing to worry about for the TCH owners:D

benny 01-29-2007 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by tnsig (Post 109752)
I'm sure he was talking about the transmission problems in non hybrid Camry. Nothing to worry about for the TCH owners:D

That is correct. And it wasn't really a true problem, per se, but I had read that in the regular Camrys driving at city speeds the engine will often try to figure out which gear to go into. That said, I have a friend who bought a 4 cylinder Camry and isn't having any trouble with it.

Sorry about the confusion. --Benny