Squeaky brakes TSB's working?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Angry Squeaky brakes TSB's working?

My car went into service on Aug 1, 2006 and I am up to 23k miles. At my 15k service (Feb 07, I think) I had both brake squeek TSB's applied, since I was getting squeek from front and rear, and while going in forward and reverse. They also deglazed the rotors, they said it was unusual to have glazed rotors after just 15k but then again my TCH was the first one they had serviced with this type of mileage on it already, so they thought that maybe the regenerative brakes had something to do with it. Anyway, the TSB's stopped the squeek for about 3k miles. Now the front squeek has returned with a vengence while going forward, and is actually much louder than before. (The rear brakes still don't squeek, whew!) It has gotten worse and worse over the last 5k miles. Although I will have them check it again when I go for my 25k service, there is no point in redoing the TSB's, because those just changed the brake pad mounting clips. I will not accept a "wear and tear" explanation that I need new brake pads at 25k, because I have documented proof that this squeek problem existed earlier.

So has anybody else had both brake squeek TSB's applied but are still experiencing the problem?

Old 06-21-2007, 05:06 PM
Default Re: Squeaky brakes TSB's working?

My TCH breaks never squeek, so I never got TBS done on mine. Maybe there is something in your driving conditions that make the breaks squeek, glazing of rotors would suggest that and you did say the squeek was gone for first 5k miles after TBS? My breaks used to last no more than 20k-30k and I had at least 2-3 warp discs in my previous cars, but at 23k so far my TCH is fine, maybe I changed the way I drive? If I was you I would cut the rotors and try softer pads, but I'm not sure if that would be covered under warranty since break pads are wear parts. I would also put a lot of that blue anti squeek stuff they sell for breaks and make sure floating calipers are free to move and grease them but I do most of the simple maintenance myself. Otherwise going to the dealer and complain is the only way. You may be overheating your breaks, if you have long downhills I would try B or maybe something is binding, so I would check how hot discs are after driving, but don't touch them unless you want to burn, you can feel the heat from the distance if they're hot.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:14 PM
HSD Organic Interface

I only had the reverse squeak done (front brakes?) and I found it didn't help much for the first month, but then gradually went away and now I have no issues. But, when reading your description, the first thing that popped into my head is perhaps you have something as simple as some debris trapped or embedded on one of your disk pads.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

This has been a problem since the advent of semi-metallic brake pads. It is inherent to their nature to setup harmonic oscillations that can produce some truly obnoxious squealing. Engineers fight a constant battle to dampen and mute these harmonics by way of shims and gaskets and whatnot.

A certain European make I worked for years ago started using a very soft material in their brake pads which definitely got rid of the noise... but the pads were shot in 8,000 miles.

So they went back to the regular formulation and started shipping tubes of a special sound deadening grease, and that worked really quite well. I still have a few tubes of it sitting around that I use on all cars.

Basically, you can never be quite sure where the various tolerance stack-ups will conspire to allow this noise to develop so a dis-assembly and visual inspection is required. What we used to do was pull the whole brake assembly apart and examine for shiny spots amid the dingy brown. The shiny spots were where the noise was coming from. A little of the magic grease on your finger tip applied to the shiny spots and thin layer on the pad backing got rid of the noise for the life of the pads.

I know it sounds like voodoo, but it works.

What does the Toyota TSB call for?

Old 06-22-2007, 10:13 PM

The TSB's simply replace some clips.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 06-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flopshot
The TSB's simply replace some clips.
And if you look at Section 'H' sub-section 'a', you can see exactly where Toyota wants the sound-deadening grease to be applied.

Imagine that. That's very cool.

Say, where to you find these TSB's? Are they archived on this site? Or do you have a subscription? Access to these is very handy.

Old 06-23-2007, 12:04 PM

If you subscribe to Tundrasolutions.com (for I think $25), you can access the TSB's whenever you want. I simply wait until somebody else posts them, then I copy/save them and repost them for other people benefit whenever appropriate. There are a couple of threads on here and on toyotanation.com which attach the various TSB's for Gen6 Camry.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:45 AM
Recent Hybrid convert

Originally Posted by McGyver
Say, where to you find these TSB's? Are they archived on this site? Or do you have a subscription? Access to these is very handy.
As flopshot said on Post #7... Also, a thread was started late last year where all TSB's could be accumulated, but given some potential legal concerns many of us stopped posting the attachments directly. Still, it's a good place to start your search: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=11193