Start up question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 08:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default Start up question

I've just bought a used 2010 Camry Hybrid (Australian build), my first hybrid, and not sure whether it's behaving properly on start-up. When I tried it out before buying when I started it the fuel economy needle would always stay on E while idling, pull away still in E and only seem to start the gas engine when accelerating, at which point the fuel eco needle would jump up to some number of l/100km.

This morning when I started the car, after a few seconds still in Park the gas engine seemed to start and the fuel eco needle went up to it's max setting. Have been trying to work out whether this is normal, whether it's just warming the engine up or something from a cold start, or whether this is a cause for concern. When I start driving it it seems to behave normally and will drop back into hybrid mode fine. Is it meant to stay in E when parked on startup? Why is it kicking in the gas engine when it's parked?

Much appreciate any advice.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:32 AM
Professor Emeritus
Default Re: Start up question

Normal operation. The engine should Always start when you "start the car". After a few seconds (longer if the car is cold) the engine will shut off.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have a 2012 Kentucky (US) built hybrid, and it sounds as if the display may be different. Not sure what you mean by E?

In any case, it is normal in mine for it to go to Ready as soon as you push start. If the engine is warm already the ICE (internal combustion engine) may not start. If it is cold, then it will start about 5 seconds or so after you get the Ready. And, even if it is warm and you have AC turned on, it may start because of the AC too.

On the fuel mileage indication, I find the instantaneous readout kind of useless. If it just runs on electric for a while, it shows 0 L/100km. If the ICE starts right away, it will show a high number -- as much as 99.9 L/100km. Then of course it goes down as you drive, or goes up once the ICE starts.

Do you have a manual? It should be of some help. If not, you may be able to find one on line at the Australia Toyota site. I believe there are some differences between the Australia and US models.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Here is a older picture of my '07 TCH I traded, that shows the MPG Consumption meter.. The 'E' is for Economy when the engine is shut off and the Synergy drive is in the EV mode.

The more you drive with the needle in the 40 to 60 range the better your mpg will be. Best to use the cruise control from speeds of 25 mph on up. I use the cruise in town on the wider longer main streets.

mpg08-26-09_.jpg

Last edited by rburt07; 08-18-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Australian build? Are you still in Australia then?

It depends. On cold engine, that has been sitting overnight, after you press power button, and READY lights up, there will be several seconds delay. Not sure how long - 10 or so - before ICE starts. Reason it starts is ECM wants to reduce exhaust emissions asap, and warms up catalytic converter; also, some other components warm up.

From this point on, it depends on outside temperature. If it's above 55 degrees, engine will shut off and you go back to EV mode, unless you press accelerator. If it's cold, engine will keep running.

On well warmed up engine, you can turn power on and drive away in EV mode for quite some distance.

It goes, and a lot, to outside conditions and how warmed up engine is.

http://www.ecrostech.com/prius/original/PriusFrames.htm