State Tax Credits

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 03:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default State Tax Credits

Anyone know where I can find a list of which states are offering tax credits or deductions for hybrids and the details (how much, over what period of time). I live in Virginia and since I'm not aware of any credits or deductions I'm assuming we don't have any. But it would be nice to see a compreshensive list.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:52 AM
Default Re: State Tax Credits

OK, I'll answer my own question. A link is available at hybridcenter.org

Old 06-14-2006, 08:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Does anyone know what happens if I buy it out of state? I am buying mine in Atlanta, but the dealer down there is registering my TCH and title in OH for me. That means I shouldn't have any problems claiming the deduction, right?

Also, how much does anyone know about use tax? Since I am buying it out of state, I have to pay "use tax" on it; essentially sales tax on anything I buy out of state that I could have bought in-state.

So glad I found this board! Yet another board for me to post obsessively on. LOL. Er, I mean, what a great resource! Haha.

Old 06-14-2006, 09:13 AM

The dealer in Atlanta or a local dealer should be able to answer for sure. But I believe that if the Atlanta dealer is registering the car in Ohio that it will be as if you purchased it in Ohio in the firs place, both for any state tax credits and sales tax.

Disclaimer: I assume no accuracy for my post. Please check with someone who knows what they're talking about.

Old 07-13-2006, 06:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ginway
Does anyone know what happens if I buy it out of state? I am buying mine in Atlanta, but the dealer down there is registering my TCH and title in OH for me. That means I shouldn't have any problems claiming the deduction, right?
Hit the website (http://go.ucsusa.org/hybridcenter/incentives.cfm) for exact details, but the Georgia tax credit is only for vehicles REGISTERED in GA. It doesn't care where you bought it, apparently. Ohio's HB 453, however, doesn't mention where it's purchased or registered, so I'm not sure about that one: http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/b...?ID=126_HB_453

Old 07-13-2006, 07:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

States generally are very strict regarding vehicle purchases to prevent people from crossing state lines to get "a better deal". For instance, I bought a car in April of 2003 in MA and moved to CA in August and had to pay the difference in sales tax to CA (8.75% vs. 5% in MA). Likewise, as a MA resident I can't go to a sales-tax free state and buy a car - as soon as it's registered in MA I have to pay the sales and excise taxes. Don't think your state is going to miss out one bit on getting a few grand from you.

As far as tax credits are concerned, I'm willing to bet that they all apply to the state they car is registered in, not bought in.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Orcrone

Being from Wisconsin they have no credits. Which is suprising because the capital city, Madison, is very Eco friendly and there are long waiting lists for all types of Hybrids here.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by 12punch
Thanks Orcrone

Being from Wisconsin they have no credits. Which is suprising because the capital city, Madison, is very Eco friendly and there are long waiting lists for all types of Hybrids here.
Since there are long waiting lists for hybrids no more would be sold if they offered tax credits. So the politicians probably figure they'd be taking money out of their coffers without providing any benefit.

Old 07-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

I bought my HiHy in Baltimore but live in Colorado. I had to pay a minimal amount to MD for the temp tags to allow me to drive the vehicle back to CO but when I registered it in CO paid the sales tax etc. I also claimed the CO state tax credit on my vehicle and did not have any problems with that.

Old 07-13-2006, 12:56 PM
Along for the ride.....

Maine had one last year than ran out and failed to extend it. I think it refunded part of the sales tax you paid on your hybrid.

Quick Reply: State Tax Credits

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands