View Poll Results: Please read first post before answering
Absolutely I would. I have no problem paying the premium
68.92%
I'm leaning in the direction of the hybrid, but can't say for sure
17.57%
I have no opinion. It was a no brainer with more expensive gas, but now I'm not sure.
2.70%
Probably not, but I'd have to consider it long and hard/
4.05%
No. I love the car (and the environment), but I wouldn't/can't pay the premium
6.76%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Survey...would you buy a hybrid if gas were cheap

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Survey...would you buy a hybrid if gas were cheap

Originally Posted by wwest
"...that alone closes the gap..."

And if I never plan to re-sell....?

What then..??
Sounds like Willard is a man after my own heart............and then some.

And if we (or our heirs) never plan to sell, then we and our heirs must keep the car forever.

I really like that plan from the standpoint of minimizing depreciation cost.

But like the old song says, "Forever is a long, long, time !"

And in the long, long, term the price of gasoline is bound to rise to many, many, times the current price -- swamping all other considerations.

So, to repeat what I and some others have posted, maybe the long term outlook for gasoline prices should be a more important factor (in the car choice decision) than the current gas price.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:19 PM
Enthusiast

i would by another hybrid no matter what the gas prices are. i personally like the way the hybrid runs and basically doesn't idle, unless the ICE is running. it is quiet, stylish, efficient, and has a lower carbon footprint. i look forward to seeing how hybrids move forward and how they lure people from varying markets into the hybrid technology. a hybrid is not a cure-all for any problem whether it is environmental or economical, but it is a big step in the right direction. plus, the fact that the depreciation rate for hybrids tends to be really slow is a bonus!

Old 12-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meshell
i would by another hybrid no matter what the gas prices are. i personally like the way the hybrid runs and basically doesn't idle, unless the ICE is running. it is quiet, stylish, efficient, and has a lower carbon footprint. i look forward to seeing how hybrids move forward and how they lure people from varying markets into the hybrid technology. a hybrid is not a cure-all for any problem whether it is environmental or economical, but it is a big step in the right direction. plus, the fact that the depreciation rate for hybrids tends to be really slow is a bonus!
Now, if Toyota would just add a clutch/brake to the e/CVT so that the MG's need not be POWERED on the hwy when there is little or no opportunity to recharge the battery for "FREE".....

Stellar city FE, and hwy FE at least comparable to equivalent non-HSD vehicles....WOW.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:21 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwest
Now, if Toyota would just add a clutch/brake to the e/CVT so that the MG's need not be POWERED on the hwy when there is little or no opportunity to recharge the battery for "FREE".....

Stellar city FE, and hwy FE at least comparable to equivalent non-HSD vehicles....WOW.

Without MG1 and MG2 counter-torque, the planetary in the HSD 'goes nowhere'. For the power to be transferred to the wheels, the motors must be energized so the right parts of the gearset are spinning in the right ratio. MG1 and mg2 free-wheeling will effectively put the transmission in 'neutral' simulation.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:56 PM

I'm so happy I bought the TCH before the $4 + gas prices. I would be very happy with the car at 35 mpg. Lucky by watching my driving I did lots better than that. I wanted a hybrid as soon as I read about the upcoming Prius from Toyota. I could not afford one till near the end of the 2007 TCH models. I'm a tall person and the TCH fits nicely. I would prefer the higher gas mileage with the Prius, but the fit may have been snug. I really like the quiet smooth ride the TCH gives me.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:48 AM

I bought my TCH when gas was about what it is right now (~$2). I am very happy I bought it when I did because I got a great deal -- due to the low gas price -- and right after I purchased it the price of gas rose significantly. When gas was > $3.50 people were flocking to buy hybrids and the dealerships were not making any deals. I would buy another even thought I know it is not the total answer. The point is, I want to support the technology and it does get better mpg than others.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

I took delivery of my TCH halloween 2006 the price of gasoline did not factor highly in my decision.

I thought it was about much more than just getting better mileage.

Much lower emissions are important too.

After driving it for just over two years I do not in any way regret my decision and will buy another when the time comes.

The "hybrid premium" is meaningless to me, I kept my last Camry 14 years and expect this one to last as long or longer, based on my current and anticipated future driving habits.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands