TCH backseat a/c - how does it work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Enthusiast
Default TCH backseat a/c - how does it work?

I noticed something very interesting with my 2007 TCH. I was running the a/c with the setting on automatic, the zones set for dual driver/passenger mode, and the driver setting set to about 72 degrees. The outside temperature according to the TCH dashboard reading was 81 degrees.
When I set the passenger temperature to 77 degrees, the a/c runs and blows cool both in front (passenger side) and back vents that come from the middle of the car. When I set the passenger temperature setting to 78 degrees or higher, the back seat vents blow hot air, even if the front passenger side is blowing cool air.
Is this normal?

I have verified this several times - with different outdoor temperatures ranging from 81 to 95 degrees. The passenger temp zone setting being set to 78 degrees or above causes hot air to blow into the back seats from the rear vents, and 77 or below causes cold air.

If this is normal, is there a way to change it? My wife likes it slightly warmer than I do, and sometimes she will set the a/c on her side (passenger) to 79 or 80 degrees - and when she does so my son in the back seat roasts!

Thanks!

Old 08-11-2012, 09:33 PM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: TCH backseat a/c - how does it work?

Yep, the 2007s have this bad behavior, the rear vents blowing hot air inappropriately for some situations. If you feel so inclined, search back to some postings from 2006 and you'll find some discussion on this, I remember reading comments from others on this when mine was new and found it did the same...

Old 08-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH backseat a/c - how does it work?

I found this interesting tidbit....

Originally Posted by Urkoz;
NOTE: ECO mode control is performed only when the blower motor is ON. When the ECO switch is turned ON while the blower motor is OFF, the ECO switch indicator light and the heater control panel LCD display illuminate, but ECO mode control is not performed.
During cooling under ECO mode control, the room temperature is maintained at 25C (77F) even if the set temperature is below 25C (77F). Since the power consumption of the electric inverter compressor is limited under ECO mode control, this does not indicate a malfunction. To decrease the room temperature to below 25C (77F), the MAX COLD temperature [18C (64.4F)] must be selected or ECO mode control must be canceled by turning the ECO switch OFF.
It looks applicable because it is talking about the "magic number" or 77 degrees F, which is the switchover point I noticed with my 2007 TCH. I forgot to mention that indeed, I always run in ECO mode.
I'll try turning off ECO mode and see how it behaves.

Scott