TCH owners in Canada and some of cold States in USA

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: TCH owners in Canada and some of cold States in USA

Originally Posted by Roger7
My experience with the TCH shows year round real life fuel efficiency in cold weather areas to be approx. 7.5L/100KMs (31.5 MPG US) against the posted 6.4L/100KMs or 34.5 MPG US (revised unofficial) for 2008 Model year. This is still very good as compared to non-hybrid camry which in my opinion will give only 11L/100KMs or 21.5 MPG (US) in cold weather areas.

Further to my earlier post, I calculated the gas savings for TCH in colder parts of Canada. Fuel savings in cold climate (Toronto area) can add up to $750 cdn. per year based on 24,000 KMs of driving per year. (TCH @ 7.5L/100KMs or 31.5 MPG US vs. non-Hybrid @ 11L/100 KMs or 21.5 MPG US)

Initial cost difference in base camry LE and base TCH is approx. $7,000. With fuel savings of $7,500 over 10 years and tax credits of $2,000 to $3,500, we are ahead by $2,500 to $4,000.

Plus the TCH owners get a lot more for free in Canada:

- Latest technology that is more fun to drive
- Environmental benefits
- VDIM
- MID
- Upgraded JBL sound system
- In-dash 6 disc CD changer
- Power driver seat
- Auto climate control (dual-zone)
- Steering mounted controls
- Smart key entry and ignition
- Bluetooth
- Chrome tail pipe, mud guards, LED tail lights, better front grille, etc.

All these options are worth over $5,000 that you do not pay for in Canada. So anyone thinking of buying a Camry in Canada must consider the TCH.

Old 05-28-2007, 04:21 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH owners in Canada and some of cold States in USA

I did not take delivery of my TCH until April 18 and in southern Ontario there has barely been a frost since. However I paid close attention to the FE of my last car a Maxima SE 6 speed. Regardless of my best efforts FE was always hit hard on the morning commute during the winter. I did find that idling to warm everything up was definately not good for FE. Fire it up and drive immediately short shifting to prevent premature engine wear due to high revs.
Not only does idling burn a great deal of gas but fuel injection engines tend to flood fuel down the cylinder walls during cold idling and a worn engine is not FE.

I drove my first Camry this way, an 89 2.5 V6 and it was still not using oil between changes at 330,000 kilometres, that's when we parted company.
The fact my TCH will return less FE during the cold months does not bother me because it will still be better than a conventional vehicle.

Mine is a working car at 6 weeks old and already 6500 kilometres, results good or bad will show themselves quickly. Currently I am extremely pleased and would not trade if for anything (well maybe an IS F) I'll keep you posted.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH owners in Canada and some of cold States in USA

Northern New York
Purchased Camry Augusts of 06'.
During the winter months we averaged ~28 to 29 mpg (we live on a steep hill).
Over the last month or so we have been getting 32 to 34 mpg.