TCH vs NAH

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default TCH vs NAH

Well I just got back from test driving the NAH and although it and the TCH are both based on the same synergy system, they are very different vehicles. The first thing that separates them (at least in Canada) is that the Altima has no options, unless you count colour. No leather, sunroof, navigation, fog lights,... The interior of the NAH is sportier than the TCH and available in black (one of my biggest issues with the TCH). Looking around the interior, I felt the overall fit and finish was better than the TCH's I've seen so far. The dash was clear and the instruments easily readable. There is an MFD, but it did not have a button on the steering wheel to switch between displays on the MFD. Instead it had 2 buttons located approximately where the AC eco button is on the TCH. One simularity between the two was that the NAH also did not have a tachometer.

When I started up the NAH, I left it in park for over 5 minutes and noticed that the ICE kicked in and never shut off like the TCH. It was not until I depressed the gas pedal slightly when the ICE shut down and the NAH motored along in ev mode. I knew this because the MFD said so. Which brings me to another big difference. There is no animated graphic to tell the driver what mode it was running in. Pressing the display mode buttons, did not change the MFD but rather brought up a message saying the vehicle had to be stopped to make any changes!

Once I got the NAH going, I noticed that there was a significant amount of road and engine noise. The suspension was much more taunt and the steering response was much more pronounced. I also noticed that the NAH seemed to run on its ICE more than the TCH and it was harder to make the car operate in EV mode unless it was coming to a stop or going down hill. Startups were all supplemented by the ICE.

Overall, the NAH seemed to be more peppier than the TCH. Although, this may have been an illusion due to the added ice and road noise. I can't say for certain if it had more umph than the TCH.

Based on this experience, I think I'm one step closer to becoming a TCH Owner.

Other diffferences that I did notice was;

NAH did not have;
LED tail lights
Projector headlights

NAH did haveh
Rear spoiler with led light bar
body side moulding
colour matched mud guards
dual chrome exhausts
heated cloth seats
Leather stearing wheel
sunvisor extensions
auto up/down front windows
nice better fitting black interior

Old 05-25-2007, 01:37 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH vs NAH

Off topic as far as Hybrids are concerned but after owning 3 Toyotas and just one Nissan there is no comparison for me, my first Nissan was my last.
Although my 02 Maxima SE six speed was a fun car with all the options possible it had many problems. I understand that cars are just machines and machines go wrong, the problem was very few dealers were capable or willing to help in a timely manner.
I am very happy to be back in Toyota country and the only reason I'd leave again would be for a Lexus.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:25 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Do I want a Nissan???
"NAH"

(in other words...NO)

Old 05-25-2007, 06:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wilsons66604
Do I want a Nissan???
"NAH"

(in other words...NO)

Nice play on words...

Old 05-25-2007, 02:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think management at Nissan doesn't believe in hybrids and this NAH is half baked effort just to make a "me too" statement to get them over until "hybrid fad goes away" and everything goes back to good old days. I also remember reading somewhere that contract for Toyo Synergy drive used in Nissan cars is short term and it won't be extended, which is a real pity since Toyota cars won't have federal tax credit soon and Nissan has a long way to reach the limits, so it could be good alternative. I used to own Nissan 240SX and that car was pretty reliable, lasting 13 years/about 250k miles with 1 tranny rebuild and 2 master cylinders as the only major repairs.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

I used to have a new 1997 Maxima and was not happy at all... toooo many engine issues with the major ones burning oil (below min level) in less than 3k miles between oil changes and clicking noise between 80-83mph... never again NISSAN or HONDA...
I have been owning new TOYOTAs for over 15 years w/o any issue and unless TOYOTA messes up, I plan to stay with TOYOTA

Last edited by agnosto; 05-25-2007 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Nissan does not impress me. I remember when R12 refrigerant was outlawed in automobiles it took Nissan two years to phase it out after the deadline. All their cars in the showroom had stickers saying they were still running on R12. Like they need a gun put to their head to do anything. Nissan? No thanks.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:56 PM
Enthusiast

Well... we have owned a TCH since July and decided to get a hybrid for my wife since she had a Maxima. So we checked out the Altima and liked it. Settled on a contract to buy from our local dealer. Then, condensing the story a lot, the dealer sort of went old school and said they couldn't do the trade with the other dealer that had our car. Said they would look around. Without getting into details we were little uncomfortable about their behavior.

Got us thinking... what's a NAH? Sort of a repackaged TCH. And we like TCHs and our local dealer. That weekend we were bought a Jade Pearl TCH for a few thousand less than the Altima. Sold the Maxima. Not to disparage the Altima BTW, it has good points. I just think that Toyota is better suited to service hybrids.

So now we are a two TCH family.