Is there a 'better' brand of gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 01:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Is there a 'better' brand of gas

Originally Posted by cohort
Thanks to this post I went to Shell today and not Race Track. On the sign at shell they showed what a valve looks like after 5,000 miles using cheap gas, it wasn't a pretty valve.
I know the picture you're talking about and have always wondered about the cheap gas. I'm thinking they ran it for about 100,000 miles on crude to get it to look that way.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:53 PM
WVGasGuy

The gas there is 5 to 8 cents cheaper but today it was only 1 cent difference so Shell was a bargain

Like I said with a BP card you get a rebate of 5%. Other major gas companies offer similar cards.

I don't recommend debt as a lifestyle to anyone, but a credit card with 5% rebates on gas as long as you pay it off every month is a pretty sweet deal. (That's 15 cents on 3 dollar gas)

Old 08-29-2006, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
The gas there is 5 to 8 cents cheaper but today it was only 1 cent difference so Shell was a bargain

Like I said with a BP card you get a rebate of 5%. Other major gas companies offer similar cards.

I don't recommend debt as a lifestyle to anyone, but a credit card with 5% rebates on gas as long as you pay it off every month is a pretty sweet deal. (That's 15 cents on 3 dollar gas)
FYI: Discover Card has a gas card that pays 5% back on any gas purchase...I recently converted my "regular" Discover card to this card by a simple phone call.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Here on the west coast where we're still paying over $3 a gal. I will continue to use the nearest, cheapest name brand gas I can find. I've been doing that for over 18 years with my last new car and it never caused a foul or plugged injector. By the way I never had in fuel system cleaned either in 300,000 miles. Gas is gas and it all comes off the same tanker or pipe as mention.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:23 PM
Active Enthusiast
Angry Re: Is there a 'better' brand of gas

I forgot to mention, today I got a notice from Citibank that on 10/13/06 it will reduce their rebate from 5% to 2% on their best cash reward card for gas, supermarket or drug store purchases. I then check my other 5% card from Chase and they are not issuing any new ones but will continue the 5% rebates on existing accounts. I checked bankrate.com and it seems all the creditcard companies are reducing their % and/or raising the spending limit before they rebate. The good times are over.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:30 PM
WVGasGuy

Here on the west coast where we're still paying over $3 a gal

It went down to 2.71 here in WV. Last weekend it was 2.43 in Cambridge Ohio.

Gas is gas and it all comes off the same tanker or pipe as mention.

No matter what the rest of the world believes

Old 08-29-2006, 06:34 PM
WVGasGuy

The way gasoline is sold is that the most expensive gas is at the top of the container, because any sedatives/sludge sinks to the bottom. As the various merchants purchase their gas, the top of the container tank is more expensive, and the bottom of the tank is less expensive.

Are you serious? (never can tell on posts)

Old 08-29-2006, 06:36 PM

Andy, did you check with Discovcer card?

Old 08-29-2006, 08:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yes I did. You're right, it's the best right now just for gas rebate. The 5% cash bonus is only on the first $1200 spend on gas, no supermarkets or drug stores. That will give you $60. On everything else it's 1% after you spend $3000. With my TOH it will take me a year to spend that much in gas. I don't know about you but I spend 4 times that in the supermarket. Can't have it all.

Old 08-30-2006, 04:52 AM
WVGasGuy

The 5% cash bonus is only on the first $1200 spend on gas

Is that per year?

$1200 in gas goes a long way in a TCH, even at $3.00+/gallon

Quick Reply: Is there a 'better' brand of gas

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands