Those 4 plastic plugs in glovebox???

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Those 4 plastic plugs in glovebox???

I just checked my glovebox and sure enough the four plugs are there.

I hate to go to the dealership just for this.

Thanks for the useful information. Now I can justify my addiction to this forum!

Old 06-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Enthusiast
Lightbulb Re: Those 4 plastic plugs in glovebox???

Originally Posted by schmidtj
I wonder why those wouldn't be installed at the factory.
Anyone care to speculate?
J
Hmmm.... great question! Maybe the words "torque box" are a clue? I'm guessing the dealer needs access to certain bolts in the frame prior to delivering the car, and then the holes should be plugged up!???!

Old 06-07-2007, 02:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

The plugs are suppose to reduce road noise. The dealership told me the reason why they don't install them is because it causes water to pool. I didn't care enough to argue so I just tossed it back into the glovebox.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pepsi
The plugs are suppose to reduce road noise. The dealership told me the reason why they don't install them is because it causes water to pool. I didn't care enough to argue so I just tossed it back into the glovebox.
My response to "THE DEALERSHIP"
Let's see -- installing the plugs causes water to pool. Hmm . . . If the plug would block drainage holes, why would the Toyota engineers have supplied plugs to block-up these seep holes?

Second -- These plugs will close up four (4) holes that are on the underside of the car. Without the plugs installed, what will happen if you need to ford a stream or deep water where the water comes up that high? -- Hey, it happens. Wouldn't water get into the interior frame section of the car? And possibly pool there, allowing for the possibility of that area to rust-out from the inside? (I know, there is a rust protection warranty.)

Third -- Normally there is a "mark-up" listed as dealer prep, and this is listed under the Pre-Delivery Inspection. (You paid for it.)