Tire Pressure Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 03:52 PM
Enthusiast
Default Tire Pressure Problems

How often do you guys have to fill up air in your tires. I have only put 1500 miles on my 08TCH and i filled air last week and this week the low tire pressure light came on again. Anyone have problems like that with bridgestones? Also do you think I can somehow do a warranty claim and get it replaced?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tire Pressure Problems

Originally Posted by jpgjjgm
How often do you guys have to fill up air in your tires. I have only put 1500 miles on my 08TCH and i filled air last week and this week the low tire pressure light came on again. Anyone have problems like that with bridgestones? Also do you think I can somehow do a warranty claim and get it replaced?

Thanks in advance
Sounds like you have a slow leak. Have a tire shop check for a nail. I got a nail in a tire a week after getting my TCH. Good thing we have the pressure monitoring system, or I might have ruined a tire from driving on it with low inflation!

Last edited by jbollt; 01-27-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks in advance
If it only one tire, then you have a problem. If all tires are low, then you probably just had a big drop in temperature. This happened to me around October. I went out one chilly morning and the light was on due to the air contracting in the cold.

Some of our more hard-core brethren on this board have filled their tires with dry nitrogen to prevent thermal expansion and contraction due to heat. This is pretty common in race cars and airplanes.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks in advance
You don't mention: What pressure the tires were originally set at, what you increased/decreased them to and if you reset the TPMS; nor where you live.

1) The TPMS will trigger when the pressure decreases to 75% of it's set point. (You put in 40 psi, reset the TPMS, then the alarm will occur when they hit 30 psi.)

Here's what might be happening: The alarm set point is at 30 psi and you put in 32 psi and don't reset the TPMS. You have only 2 psi before the alert goes off. Tire pressure changes by 1 psi for every 10 degrees (F) in temp. If the temperature dropped by 20 degrees, you're down to 30 psi (the alarm point).

Old 01-27-2008, 11:39 PM

My TCH came with michelin energy tires. I air them to 42 (cold) I check the tire pressure very 2 months. Each tire is usually down about 2 pounds.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:24 AM

I don't know what the tool is called but it used when removing the valve stem from a rim when replacing a tire. Anyway, this tool also can tighten/loosen the valve within a stem. Your valve may be loose and is leaking air. Have this tighten.

Also, are all tires going down by the same amount? If so, I doubt you have puncture, it may be due to outside temp changes. If not, you have a small leak (on single tire), whether it's from a puncture or a loose valve is now the question.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:39 PM

As other mentioned you need to check pressure in each tire, if one is low then most likely you have nail with slow leak, if all are the same then reset the sensor, probably temperature change caused drop in pressure. I need to add couple pounds every few months, aluminium rims are very hard to seal 100% and if there is no other problem, the rim itself could be leaking and that would be warranty repair I would think, but I'm not sure about nail or other road hazards.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Enthusiast

I just got back from my 15,000 mi service on my 2007 TCH. I have had same problem with a single tire losing pressure. I was losing about 3 pounds per week in a single tire. The other 3, nothing noticeable. I mentioned this pressure problem at the 10,000 mi service and they replaced my tire for FREE. The strange thing is that I was told I had a nail causing this slow leak. I had inspected my tire previously and found no nail. I was also told there was a "slash" inside the tire in addition to the nail and this is the reason I received a free tire. Strange but I guess possible. Today, I was told that this single tire leaking at a noticeable rate and other 3 not is normal...um...ok. I just set all tires to 32 pounds like the sticker in door frame recommends. I guess I'll keep checking pressure and see what happens.