Too much air in my tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 08:10 AM
joe540ci
Thumbs down Too much air in my tires

I went an extra 10 lbs to see if I could squeeze out better mpg. It helped a little but the wife came home and said something seems wrong with the car,she said it rides rough and clunky. we just went on a 150 mi trip over some poor roads and I noticed everything in the glove boxs was ratteling and the car felt like I was driving down the railroad tracks. lots of vibrations and a harsh feeling in the stering wheel. It was not a good idea.....joe -PS.Its been cold here in MN. the shocks and strut oil could be stiff too

Last edited by JOE540CI; 12-01-2006 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Too much air in my tires

I have my tires at 40psi and although I can feel a slight difference, it is not uncomfortable at all.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:00 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by JOE540CI
I went an extra 10 lbs to see if I could squeeze out better mpg. It helped a little but the wife came home and said something seems wrong with the car,she said it rides rough and clunky. we just went on a 150 mi trip over some poor roads and I noticed everything in the glove boxs was ratteling and the car felt like I was driving down the railroad tracks. lots of vibrations and a harsh feeling in the stering wheel. It was not a good idea.....joe -PS.Its been cold here in MN. the shocks and strut oil could be stiff too
Not to mention the extra wear and tear on your front end components.

Old 12-01-2006, 12:57 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question Re: Too much air in my tires

Two questions for you:

1. Do you have Michelin tires?
2. What pressure did you go to when you had the rough ride?

Old 12-01-2006, 01:02 PM
joe540ci

Michelin@42 psi That is what they read now and its about 20 degrees out I had put 50 psi in when it was really bad

Last edited by JOE540CI; 12-01-2006 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:09 PM
joe540ci

What other tires come on the camry???

Old 12-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Recent Hybrid convert

What other tires come on the camry???
"Search" and you'll find several pertinent threads, incl. SEVERAL discussions on tire pressure... (it's been discussed at length yet apparently continues to be a hot topic).

Here are 2 samples about the types of tires:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ead.php?t=8309
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ead.php?t=9620

Last edited by HybridFan; 12-01-2006 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:05 PM
joe540ci

Thanks HYBRIDFAN I NEVER LOOKED AT THOSE POSTS BEFORE. Now I will try running 38 psi on the michelins..

Old 12-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Recent Hybrid convert

Now I will try running 38 psi on the michelins..
I assume you also looked into all the other "tire pressure" threads before deciding on your psi preference, as in for example:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=10062
and
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=10307

For other folks, however: I certainly do NOT intend my post to spawn yet another long drawn-out discussion about what psi is "right" (we have enough of those on this forum already, thank you), but some of our forum members may be new and may not know about the valuable info already available just by doing a search on "tire pressure"...

'Nuff Said.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Malcontent

As an aside, tire gauges can be off by quite a bit. My previous cheap tire gauge read 4-5 psi higher than the Accutire Racing Gauge I recently acquired. Its appeal was that it locks onto the valve very well w/o leaking. No more press on, wait for the hiss, hope the hiss stops, and then hope it got enough air that it's not reading low. Also, it has a bleed valve so you can pump it up slightly hire than your target pressure and then bleed it down to the pressure you want.

http://www.autogeek.net/racing-tire-gauge.html

Quick Reply: Too much air in my tires

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands