Toyota Parts Dept.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Professor Emeritus
Default Toyota Parts Dept.

I'm new to the site. After much reading I decided that I should change the oil in PSD.

So, today I go into Toyota to buy 4 qts. of the proper WS oil and some crush washers to do the job. The guy behind the parts counter says "he cannot sell me the oil", "You do not need it". Then he goes on to say that "This particular oil is good for over 100,000 miles and that is requires a scan tool and temperature sensors to change".... He insists that I need to "bring the car in for service" to have it checked rather than sell me the oil!!

Long story short is that I actually got in an argument with this guy and had to demand that he sell me the oil or go get the manager (or else). This is all with a pretty good line at the parts counter. Needless to say.... Some of the customers walked out and some were as shocked as me.

Is this typical of Toyota dealerships? I'm coming from Mercedes and VW's. I have never experienced anything like this before at other dealerships. I honestly feel that I should have contacted the manager.

I'm still a little shocked and not sure what to think. I'm not sure if forum rules dictate whether or not I say which dealership this was. So, I did not mention it. At any rate, I will NEVER go to this particular dealer ever again for anything.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Toyota Parts Dept.

I purchased WS at a local dealer with no issue.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think it's safe to say that one (or two) employees are not indicative of the entire workforce.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Professor Emeritus

I agree. I sincerely hope it was an isolated incident. The reason I was afraid of complaining is that I would hate to see someone lose their job over the affair.

In the end, I got what I needed. I just had to DEMAND it.

It is nice to be in a Toyota again after many years. So far I am really enjoying it.

AJ
2008 TCH

Old 02-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I purchased the WS with no issues either. Changed mine @ about 45,000 miles. Maybe this parts guys "inner idiot" decided to show himself that day. LOL

Old 02-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Engineering Professor

Go to a different dealer. They do not deserve your business (or that of any one else).

JeffD

Old 02-18-2011, 09:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by litespeed
I'm new to the site. After much reading I decided that I should change the oil in PSD.

So, today I go into Toyota to buy 4 qts. of the proper WS oil and some crush washers to do the job. The guy behind the parts counter says "he cannot sell me the oil", "You do not need it". Then he goes on to say that "This particular oil is good for over 100,000 miles and that is requires a scan tool and temperature sensors to change".... He insists that I need to "bring the car in for service" to have it checked rather than sell me the oil!!

Long story short is that I actually got in an argument with this guy and had to demand that he sell me the oil or go get the manager (or else). This is all with a pretty good line at the parts counter. Needless to say.... Some of the customers walked out and some were as shocked as me.

Is this typical of Toyota dealerships? I'm coming from Mercedes and VW's. I have never experienced anything like this before at other dealerships. I honestly feel that I should have contacted the manager.

I'm still a little shocked and not sure what to think. I'm not sure if forum rules dictate whether or not I say which dealership this was. So, I did not mention it. At any rate, I will NEVER go to this particular dealer ever again for anything.
What the parts guy was trying to convey may vey well be the result of a factory "campaign". Most new cars with automatic transmissions do not have a dipstick and are "sealed". The level of ATF in the transmission is now so critical that even the dealer service personell are being given special training indicating that +/- even a half pint can make the difference.

A tad too much and the fluid gets stirred/"frothed"/foamed by the gearset and too little and.....

Then there is the issue of not needing to "refresh" the fluid due to the fact that your PSD has NO clutches whatsoever, no clutches, no clutch slippage/HEAT, no frictional surface debris in the fluid or "pan".

Old 02-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Active Enthusiast
Smile Re: Toyota Parts Dept.

Special training per the service manuel:

1- Drain fluid
2- Make sure vehicle is level
3- Install fluid to within 5mm of opening
4- Drive vehicle
5- Make sure fluid level is within 5mm of opening

Do you think the dealer techs are going to do step #4 & 5?

Some people can't follow complex instructions and should leave service repair to the pros.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Hybrid Transaxle Fluid.pdf (184.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 02-18-2011, 03:14 PM
Professor Emeritus

Thanks for posting that link!

I am assuming this is all done with the car (PSD) hot?

Old 02-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Oil flows better when it's warm but it doesn't need to be hot IMO.

Quick Reply: Toyota Parts Dept.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands