Trading in Murano for TCH

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Enthusiast
Question Trading in Murano for TCH

Hello all,

Wanted to ask a few questions about TCH. I currently own a 2004 Nissan Murano SL FWD and am done dealing with Nissan and their BS. I went and test drove a TCH over the weekend and really liked it. However, I found out that the TCH has a CVT transmission just like my Murano. Part of the reason I am done with Nissan is because of the CVT transmission that went bad only after 68k miles!! So my natural question would be, has anyone run into issues with the CVT? I do intend to buy the extended warranty and have been reading on this forum that the platinum warranty comes for about $920. I live in the metro Richmond, VA area.

Also, I am finding out that I am only elgibile for 25% of the tax credit. Does anyone know if this is going to be renewed after the October deadline?

Finally, I read that the '08 hybrids are coming out. The car I test drove was an '07 fully loaded with the nav and all. Would it be wise to wait for the '08 model, or is it all going to be the same?

I loved my Murano until I had issues, but I am looking forward to the TCH and the fuel economy it has to offer!

Thanks in advance..

Old 08-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Driving in stealth mode
Default Re: Trading in Murano for TCH

I believe I read on the forums somewhere that the TCH does not have CVT but it is rather something different.

As far as the rebates, after the end of Sept. I believe it is there will be no more hybrid rebate for the TCH since they have sold enough of them.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's actually best to think that the TCH has no transmission at all. There is only one "gear" and it is in it all the time. I haven't read anything here about anybody having any problems with it. The same system is used in the Prius and the Nissan Altima Hybrid (under license from Toyota).

Don't expect the tax credit to be renewed. It's intent was to get manufacturers to start producing hybrids.

Extended warranty is probably a waste -- consider that the hybrid drivetrain already has an extra long warranty.

The 2008's are identical mechanically.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spgdxb
Hello all,

Wanted to ask a few questions about TCH. I currently own a 2004 Nissan Murano SL FWD and am done dealing with Nissan and their BS. I went and test drove a TCH over the weekend and really liked it. However, I found out that the TCH has a CVT transmission just like my Murano. Part of the reason I am done with Nissan is because of the CVT transmission that went bad only after 68k miles!! So my natural question would be, has anyone run into issues with the CVT? I do intend to buy the extended warranty and have been reading on this forum that the platinum warranty comes for about $920. I live in the metro Richmond, VA area.

Also, I am finding out that I am only elgibile for 25% of the tax credit. Does anyone know if this is going to be renewed after the October deadline?

Finally, I read that the '08 hybrids are coming out. The car I test drove was an '07 fully loaded with the nav and all. Would it be wise to wait for the '08 model, or is it all going to be the same?

I loved my Murano until I had issues, but I am looking forward to the TCH and the fuel economy it has to offer!

Thanks in advance..
I am not positive about this but I remember reading that the cvt drive in the camry hybrid is not the same as the Murano. The Camry is Ecvt, meaning electronic cvt. The best I can find out is that it is relativly trouble free. Hope this helps.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Driving in stealth mode

Here's a link I found that explains what is in the Toyota Hybrids.

http://www.ecrostech.com/prius/origi...plitDevice.htm

Old 08-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Malcontent

There are several types of CVTs. Nissan uses the belt type while Toyota uses some sort of planetary gear arrangement. Guess which one is more robust...

http://www.vibratesoftware.com/html_...nsmissions.htm

Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coolshock1
I believe I read on the forums somewhere that the TCH does not have CVT but it is rather something different.

As far as the rebates, after the end of Sept. I believe it is there will be no more hybrid rebate for the TCH since they have sold enough of them.
Here's the link I found that says the TCH has a CVT.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=115799

Last edited by spgdxb; 08-06-2007 at 01:40 PM. Reason: forgot to add the link
Enthusiast

Toyota implements the CVT with a planetary gearset (TCH uses same scheme as the Prius):

http://eahart.com/prius/psd/

Nissan uses a variable pulley with push belt system (see Figure 1.2):

http://www.lib.ucdavis.edu/dept/pse/...s/04CVT-39.pdf

They're both CVT's but very different implementations. The Toyota system doesn't have the element of friction between the push belt and pulleys that could cause a wear related issue in the Nissan, but Nissan has done some excellent engineering and other factors may prevail in assessing the reliability and longevity of the transmission (like bearing quality, lubrication, etc.).

Old 08-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Also note that the Altima Hybrid uses the Toyota Synergy system (although they don't call it that). If Nissan had a applicable CVT I would think they would use it rather than pay Toyota for the rights to use theirs.

Fed. rebate is gone after 9/30/2007 unless new legislation happens next year (nothin pending at this time).

Scott

Old 08-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Driving in stealth mode

Straight from Toyota's site. It's officially called eCVT.

http://www.toyota.com/camry/specs.ht...TN_CAMRY_SPECS

Quick Reply: Trading in Murano for TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands