Training to become SMUG

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 06:30 AM
WVGasGuy
Default Training to become SMUG

OK, I simply bought my TCH because I wanted an economy car and I had not found one that was big enough or interesting enough until the TCH. Now that I have my TCH I'm finding my attitude about the foreign oil, the pollution and speeding are all changing. I believe instead of just being frugal I might as well jump on the band wagon and claim some of the issues that make me smug.

I'm especially interested in using less foreign oil (LES4NOIL) and NOT supporting terrorist activities against the USA! I want to make my hybrid a patrotic statement. (Have you noticed that many of those patriots that won't buy japanese "junk" will buy American SUV's and Pickups that get 12 mpg using Iranian oil???)

Does anyone have a site or information that shows what gasoline brands are made from USA, Canadian or Mexican oil?

Why support Iran, Venezula and other countries that hate us?????

Last edited by WVGasGuy; 07-28-2006 at 06:33 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Traing to become SMUG

WVGasGuy,

I'm guessing that all major oil companies receive their crude from all sources, so it would be difficult to purchase gas from 'friendly' sources.

I like your comment about patriotic Americans purchasing 12 mpg SUVs, helping to support foreign oil imports. Rather SMUG I might add.

Old 07-28-2006, 06:39 AM
WVGasGuy
Default Re: Traing to become SMUG

If I can't eliminate purchasing foreign oil I'd like to at least minimize it. I can't remember but one of the brands is owned entirely (100%) by Venezula, a country that openly has stated their hatred for us. I can't remember which brand (CITGO I believe) but that is one on my list NOT to buy.

Old 07-28-2006, 06:44 AM
Default Re: Training to become SMUG

That would be a good thing to know. With the 7-11s around here it seems that 1/2 the gas stations are Citgo.

Old 07-28-2006, 06:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

I too bought the hybrid b/c I am sick of the middle east.

Even before I bought the hybrid I seemed to be the ONLY ONE who was PSYCHED that gas prices went so high. I would like to see them at $6.00 a gallon b/c it is the ONLY way for us to become energy independent.

From TruthorFiction.com:

Boycott The Oil Companies Buying Middle Eastern Oil and We'll Stop Funding Terrorism and Keep the Gas Prices down-Truth! &Fiction!

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/o/oilterrorism.htm

Old 07-28-2006, 07:02 AM
World's First Hybrid

And, the more oil we consume, the more $$ support we send to the terrorists wherever they may be. No matter where it comes from, we need to use less.

Folks don't necessarily need to drive a hybrid but, sheesh, anything that gets 30+ mpg and is clean will do.

I came home last night only to find an H2 parked next to me in the lot. What a piece of useless junk and a hazard to navigation... Was going to snap a photo with the cell phone cam but didn't want to waste the energy...

Old 07-28-2006, 07:07 AM
WVGasGuy

I was in Europe and experienced the high gasoline prices. I researched when I got home and found that base gasoline costs are about the same all over the world. The difference is in the taxes. While I don't want to see people hurt by rising expenses, the only way America will become independant of foreign oil is when it begins to cramp their life styles. That requires $5/gallon gasoline. Hopefully we will work towards that and at the same time make alternative, high FE automobiles available to the masses. My concern is that lower income people can't afford the newer FE vehicles and thus are stuck with the low milage used cars.

It goes against my capitalistic republican values, but raise the prices and give a tax break to the very low income people. Perhaps link it somehow to the hourly rate people earn, or simply raise the minimum wage (I know that causes other problems), but if you force people to save then the American manufacturers will build what the people want (and need). Currently GM / Ford and Chrysler are building what people want and it seems like everybody right now wants a HEMI. Obviously they don't remember the oil embargo and if they do somehow they have not tied the war in the Middle East to possible disruptions in oil or simply our enemies simply raising the prices. I'm really not sure why they don't already do that. If the ones that hate us want to charge $150/barrel what's to stop them??? Competition? Not really the other countries that like us are few and even then they would like $150 as well. Sure we can try to hurt them economically by economic embargo's but that won't really work long because they can hold out longer than us. They know how to live without electricity, food and sheltr, they want bombs. We on the other hand do not know how to go without gasoline. Our whole economy depends on gasoline and Americans ability to get to work and to be able to go out and shop and eat.

It's time to wake up and "Just Do It".

Old 07-28-2006, 07:26 AM

Here is a breakdown by company by percentage from the Persian Gulf

Old 07-28-2006, 08:09 AM
Enthusiast

This is an interesting list. The cheepest gas prices in my area (MD-DC) can be found at Costco, Extramart, Sheetz, and WAWA. Sheetz and WAWA are futher out from the city.
I have two questions:

1. How can we find out which company the local stations buy their gas from ?

2. Is an updated list available?

Thanks,
JoAnn
Overeager in MD

Old 07-28-2006, 08:15 AM

Hmmm, some interesting ideas. As a business owner I have some concerns. We're already seeing a large decrease in business and traffic in our industry, due a good part to the higher fuel prices. Part of it is a direct effect of the higher gas prices eating into people's pocket. I think a much bigger effect is the psychological effect, people not feeling confident in the economy.

On the supply side we're paying more for freight to get the items from the manufacturer to us. Prices are going up because of the manufacturer's increased costs. Not only freight. The upholstered furniture business uses a lot of oil products in making the foam that's in cushions, pillows, backing, etc. So on the one hand there's lower demand. On the other we have higher costs. We could pass that on to the customer, but with lower demand you can't price yourself out of business.

If we now throw a high tax on gas, prices will go up tremendously and I hate to think about people's buying habits once that happens. I know this might sound self serving, but we're one of thousands (maybe millions) of businesses that would be effected. There are also suppliers that are then effected, people we employ both directly and indirectly (furniture repairmen, interior designers). Businesses have to lay people off, unemployment goes up and it becomes a domino effect.

I have to admit that there are times that I've said that $5.00 a gallon would be a good thing. In the long run it might make this country stronger. But how much would it hurt initially, how deep would that hurt go and how long would it take to recover from the initial recession?

I know that some would say that the increased gas taxes could be put back into the economy. But I think there would be even more money lost from lower sales tax and income tax collections. Aside from which, since when has a politician been able to make smart decisions about spending our money?

Quick Reply: Training to become SMUG

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands