TSB - Dumb Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 01:00 PM
Along for the ride.....
Default TSB - Dumb Question

Who pays for the work if Toyota has issued a TSB? Is it related to whether it is under warrantee?

Thanks

Old 08-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TSB - Dumb Question

I have no direct knowledge about Toyota, but the industry in general issues TSB's without any connection to warranty coverage. Sometimes TSB's are issued when failure trends turn up or when an improved service method is developed. sometimes they are used for "fix-on-failure" campaigns where you only get the fix, once you've had the failure.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

Some manufacturer's TSBs that I've seen indicate that during the warranty period the customer will not be charged, and after the warranty period the dealer is instructed to contact the manufacturer before doing the work.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mainer
Who pays for the work if Toyota has issued a TSB? Is it related to whether it is under warrantee?

Thanks
From what I've heard, the factory pays for it. You don't pay anything to the dealer's service department when the TSB is applied. The dealer then charges Toyota for the work at a pre-determined price. A TSB is essentially a statement from Toyota that there was a design or manufacturing flaw, so the dealer isn't the one who is responsible and therefore shouldn't be penalized.

Think of a TSB as one step below a safety recall... a TSB means that the factory will pay for a repair IF the customer wishes to have that repair done.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

Originally Posted by flopshot
From what I've heard, the factory pays for it. You don't pay anything to the dealer's service department when the TSB is applied. The dealer then charges Toyota for the work at a pre-determined price. A TSB is essentially a statement from Toyota that there was a design or manufacturing flaw, so the dealer isn't the one who is responsible and therefore shouldn't be penalized.

Think of a TSB as one step below a safety recall... a TSB means that the factory will pay for a repair IF the customer wishes to have that repair done.
While I've never had to pay for a repair covered by a TSB, McGyver's description is the more accurate one, IMHO. TSBs are often as simple as revised instructions on how to do pre-delivery inspections. And the customer can wish all they want to have the repair done, but the dealer must verify that the symptoms described in the TSB are being exhibited by the vehicle before they do the wrk.

Old 08-04-2007, 05:02 AM
Along for the ride.....

The dealer confirmed that the two TSBs that I requested will be done at no cost to me.

They were the brake squeal in reverse and the center console squeak.

So if anyone asks, squeaks and squeals are covered

Thanks everyone