Update using the new Energy Saver Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 04:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Update using the new Energy Saver Tires

I was planning on a update after I completed this present tank using these new Energy Saver tires.

They coast farther and takeoffs seem easier. Each tire is about 3 pounds lighter than the Energy S8 tires I took off.

Tire pressure - I decided on running 37.5 psi cold. I only have 228 miles on them so at about 500 miles they should be broke in. I hope to see a couple mpg improvement once broke in. I wish I had a way to compare the primacy and pilot green-X tires.

I thought it best to drive like I did on the last 59.5 mpg tank. Otherwise I would not know the true improvement in these new tires.

The 82 mpg on the daily scan gauge reading was due to a big improvement in the EV mode (6 miles) when coming home. When leaving, I also drove from home to the highway, 1.6 miles on battery. That's the first time ever the car would do that.

note: I do add 4 ounces of Lucas fuel injector cleaner each time I fill my tank. I don't remember seeing any mpg difference, but will continue using it to make sure the injectors and valves stay clean.

my latest at 3/4 full tank..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mpg 09-02-09.jpg (74.5 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by rburt07; 09-06-2009 at 04:12 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:58 AM
Default Re: Update using the new Energy Saver Tires

I did a little calculating (although I'm sure I am making some poor assumptions...or making a mistake, or two)
Generally speaking a tire comes with 12/32" tread but is worn out at 2/32".
So, 10/32" or (.3125") is used up.
A new tire, therefore, has a .625" greater diameter.
I'm going to guess that a new tire's diameter is 26", so a worn tire will have a 25.375" diameter.
The circumference of a new tire would be 81.71 inches and the worn tire would be 79.75.
One mile is 63,360 inches.
The new tire rotates 775 times, the worn tire rotates 794 times.
The worn tire has to rotate an extra 19.09 (or 2.46%) times every mile.

Based upon this page a decrease in size from 26" to 25.375" at 65 MPH distorts the speed to 63.4375.
Obviously, this would effect the mileage achieved, similarly.

Last edited by haroldo; 09-03-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:23 PM

haroldo you must teach math. I can only do the basics. See what you can tell me about how much I can save with this tire change.

Here below you may be able to tell me how much my speedometer would be off with the new tires.

michelin Energy S8 tire,10/32 new, 8/32 when removed. 793 revs...............26.2" tall both when new.

michelin Energy Saver A/S tire, 9/32................................. 796 revs per mile, 26.1" tall, all when new.

If I can achieve 55 mpg, then add about 4.4 more miles per gallon for the new tires. Then how much could I save in 5 years of driving. I drive 12,000 miles per year and $2.59 per gallon is our current local gas price.

Last edited by rburt07; 09-04-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:48 AM

No, I don't teach math, I just stayed at a Holiday Inn....
You removed tires after only 2/32" (which is 1/16" or .0625") of wear, I'd say that there were still in good shape, no?
In any event, you would double that (since the calculator looks at diameter) so the old tire had a final diameter of 26.075 (that is 26.2 minus 2*.0625"... or .125")
The new tire was 26.1".
According to that web page, your 55 MPH speed is adjusted to 54.947 (a barely perceptible and non-meaningful difference). I guess this argument work best with a comparison between new and well worn tires.
I'd only add that the used tires (assuming they were discarded and not sold) were removed relatively prematurely. TireRack's web page indicates tires must be removed at 2/32". The old tires started with 10/32", so they had a useful life of 1/4" of tread. You replaced them after 1/16" of usage. Presumably, you replaced them after only 25% of it's useful life.
I could argue that this decision, to discard a perfectly productive product prematurely ("Holy Alliteration, Batman") incurred a cost to you, that being, the unused portion of your purchase price. If the old tires cost ~$360 (if they were part of your original purchase it's not easy to determine the cost, but if you needed to purchase them, that's what it might have been), then you discarded something with a value of $270, which is the value of the old tires that was lost.
This logic holds up, since if you assume over the life of the car that you will replace the tires after 25% of their useful life, you will be purchasing more sets of tires and spending more money than someone who uses the full useful life. Now, if you sold the tires, that changes the calculation. So, if you prematurely discarded (not sold) the tires, you would have to subtract $270 from your lifetime savings.
Using your numbers, the old tires assuming 40 MPG, 5 years and 12,000 miles per year (or 60,000) would have used 1500 gallons.
Boosting the MPG to 44.4 MPG you would be using 1351 gallons, or a saving of $372 (149 gallons at $2.59/gallon).
If you use an increase from 45 to 49.4 you would be a saving of $308 (119 gallons).
Of course, your saving goes up if gas goes up.
One final part of the analysis is the extra cost of the 'energy saver' tires over the cost of a standard tire. I don't know if the tires are more expensive, or not. I'll assume they are the same cost (but I doubt that they are)

So, to sum it all up, because you decided to discard the tires before they used up their useful life, assuming constant fuel cost and no premium for the purchase of the more efficient tires, you can expect to save $102 over the next 5 years. (using the 40 to 44.4 figures)
I made some broad assumptions here, but I think they are all valid.

Pardon me while I politicize a post...
I might add, this cost analysis (discarding and destroying products while they still have value) negates any of the theoretical savings from the recent
'cash for clunkers' program (which was the most asinine waste of my hard earned tax dollars that I've ever witnessed). No one bothered to factor in the loss of inexpensive cars to the resale market (what about all the people who can only afford $2000 for a car??), the used part market (try finding a rear quarter panel for a 10 year old car) as well as the energy required to transport, scrap and recycle cars that had quite a few years of life left in them. Remember, these cars all passed their inspection, so they polluted within acceptable levels, albeit at a higher level than a newer car. I'll argue that the program will be not only an environmental disaster (as discussed here) but a foolish economic one.
People were reported to have delayed purchases for up to 9 months waiting to take advantage of the rebate. In addition, anyone contemplating getting a new car in the next 6 months would have been foolish to not accelerate their decision. There was not a creation of new buyers or sales, rather it was a timing decision. All they did was squeeze 15 months of sales into a 2 week period...yet the pols think that they saved the economy!
The most vocal proponent of the initiative and was on the news raving about the success of the program was the chairman of Auto Nation (the largest car dealer in the country), who benefited more than anyone else.
All to save a few gallons of gas.
Of course, it really was an attempt to pay back the UAW for their support last November (and to bribe them...oops! gain their support in future elections).
But it backfired....Hah! Stick it to the union...most of the purchases went to non-union auto plants (Toyota and Honda) in the southern part of the United States.
Okay, pardon my rant, but I pay taxes, so I have a right to be upset.

Last edited by haroldo; 09-05-2009 at 03:09 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:25 AM

Where do I start. I see now I should have ask for more money when I sold the oem tires to the new and used tire shop. I would have done better by placing a ad in the Thrifty Nickle classifieds to sell them. The wife says no, she don't want strangers coming to the house. The same problem I have with selling my used cars. I have had pretty good luck by offering them to friends that I know and word of mouth. It was much easier before I retired when I was working in downtown Dallas.

Thanks for your input on the numbers and savings. It was my big goof on selling the original tires so cheap.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:32 AM

Found this one titled, LOVE THIS STIMULUS PLAN!

This is from an article in the St. Petersburg Times

Please find below my suggestion for fixing America's economy. Instead of giving billions of dollars to companies that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan.

You can call it the Patriotic Retirement Plan :

There are about 40 million people over 50 in the workforce. Pay them $ 1 million a piece severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1) They MUST retire. Forty million job openings - Unemployment fixed.

2) They MUST buy a new American CAR. Forty million cars ordered - Auto Industry fixed.

3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - Housing Crisis fixed.

It can't get any easier than that!

P.S. If more money is needed, have all members in Congress and their constituents pay their taxes....

Old 09-05-2009, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by rburt07
...It was my big goof on selling the original tires so cheap.
You were happy before you knew, so I guess ignorance is bliss.
Best to not worry about the small stuff and enjoy the road.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:13 AM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST
Talking Re: Update using the new Energy Saver Tires

Does the Camry Hybrid have a trip odometer that gives you mpg? I'm on my 2nd HCH II. I compare trips of equal length, done while using the cruise control. I compare the old tires with the new. If you have constant speed using the cruise control, and go on the same trip (of at least 30 miles) you should get the difference in fuel economy for new tires. Of course you need to have similar temperature, road condition, and weather factors.
Good luck!

Old 09-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

All this tire pressure, coasting, eco mode stuff gets confusing and seems time consuming. I just drive the car and enjoy the hell out of it. Yeah, it only gets around 38-40 mpg but I guess I'll have to live with it.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Donald
Does the Camry Hybrid have a trip odometer that gives you mpg? I'm on my 2nd HCH II. I compare trips of equal length, done while using the cruise control. I compare the old tires with the new. If you have constant speed using the cruise control, and go on the same trip (of at least 30 miles) you should get the difference in fuel economy for new tires. Of course you need to have similar temperature, road condition, and weather factors.
Good luck!
Yes the Camry Hybrid has a trip odometer. The speedometer also has a displey that gives 6 or so function readings. You can only select one at a time. When driving I prefer the traction battery charge and the arrows to the wheels or engine or both at times. Once near home, I press to changed the display so I can read my current tank miles per gallon. Same as the thumbnail picture in the start of this thread.

That's what I do almost daily between 6 pm and 9 pm. Low humidity, less wind and heat. The loop to town and back is about 32.66 miles. We eat at the same place then go to walmart for groceries and to shop. It's a nice divided 4-lane highway to town. We go the east bypass around the city as the main street is 6 lanes wide with a center turn lane. It's slightly downhill all the way though town with about 4 red lights. The down side is that includes 2 overpasses. I say what goes up has to come down. So they don't seem to bother my mpg. I go up slow and the engine shuts off on the way down.

Quick Reply: Update using the new Energy Saver Tires

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands