Video Input?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 09:49 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Video Input?

Originally Posted by MickeysPal
I had the camera installed by Audio Express in Raleigh, NC ($650). It is located above and to the left of the rear license plate. It automatically displays on the Nav screen when you shift into reverse.

Here's a picture of the camera...
https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/sh...hp?i=2252&c=40

Here's an example display...
https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/sh...hp?i=2251&c=40

Thanks for the post--do you like the location of the camera? The install people I am looking into suggested either that location, or new licenseplate frame that has it built-in and then securely mounting that to the car. Any thoughts?

Old 12-13-2006, 10:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

[quote=MickeysPal;102532]I had the camera installed by Audio Express in Raleigh, NC ($650). It is located above and to the left of the rear license plate. It automatically displays on the Nav screen when you shift into reverse.

Thanks for the pictures. Did they do anything else as well, I think $650 is kind of steep. The camera is going around $185 delivered on ebay and about $450 for install is pretty high, just my thougths. Any way I plan to install it myself soon.

Again, thanks for the wonderfull pictures.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jlacamp
Thanks for the post--do you like the location of the camera? The install people I am looking into suggested either that location, or new licenseplate frame that has it built-in and then securely mounting that to the car. Any thoughts?
I'm satisfied with the mounting location. I didn't want the license plate frame mounted camera.

Originally Posted by jagbagri
Thanks for the pictures. Did they do anything else as well, I think $650 is kind of steep. The camera is going around $185 delivered on ebay and about $450 for install is pretty high, just my thougths. Any way I plan to install it myself soon.

Again, thanks for the wonderfull pictures.
Per my invoice...
camera - $350
toycam interface - $60
labor - $200
shop parts - $5
tax - $30
total - $645

The installer was unable to complete the installation during the 1st appointment. The need for the toycam interface was a 'surprise'. It was ordered via overnight express. Installation was completed quickly the next day after it arrived.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm satisfied with the mounting location. I didn't want the license plate frame mounted camera.

Per my invoice...
camera - $350
toycam interface - $60
labor - $200
shop parts - $5
tax - $30
total - $645

The installer was unable to complete the installation during the 1st appointment. The need for the toycam interface was a 'surprise'. It was ordered via overnight express. Installation was completed quickly the next day after it arrived.
They did all that... now it all seems pretty resonable and excellent service considering the toycam misshap. BTW, what is toycam interface and why was it needed or not worked without it?
Thanks again.

Old 12-15-2006, 05:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jagbagri
They did all that... now it all seems pretty resonable and excellent service considering the toycam misshap. BTW, what is toycam interface and why was it needed or not worked without it?
Thanks again.
I'm not sure exactly what the 'toycam interface' is. Per the installer, the TCH radio/nav unit doesn't have a connector for attaching a backup camera and the interface is needed to allow the camera to be connected. From what I understand, the installer contacted Eclipse technical support for the specifics re the camera attachment.

FYI - Prior to the installation, the installer thought he would be able to install an auxilary switch that would allow the camera to be activated without shifting into park. This didn't work out. The camera could be turned on OK, but the radio/nav unit would not switch to display the backup camera input.

If you want more info re the installation, I can provide the name/phone number of the installer (Audio Express).

Old 05-01-2007, 02:35 PM
Enthusiast

Per my invoice...
camera - $350
toycam interface - $60
labor - $200
shop parts - $5
tax - $30
total - $645

I'm interested in purchasing the "toycam interface". I want to keep from modifying the wiring harness if I could. I've also got a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid. My email addy is rwneild@hotmail.com. If you could send me the contact info for the installer, or the ordering info for the "toycam interface", I would be very grateful.

I have almost a decade of experience as an electronic tech, so doing the rewiring isn't a problem - I just wish to be able to quickly remove the camera harness in the event of any warranty issues with the nav system.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rwneild
I'm interested in purchasing the "toycam interface". I want to keep from modifying the wiring harness if I could. I've also got a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid. My email addy is rwneild@hotmail.com. If you could send me the contact info for the installer, or the ordering info for the "toycam interface", I would be very grateful.

I have almost a decade of experience as an electronic tech, so doing the rewiring isn't a problem - I just wish to be able to quickly remove the camera harness in the event of any warranty issues with the nav system.

Thanks in advance!
My Eclipse BEC-105 camera was installed by:
Audio Express Inc
audioexpressusa.com
2817 Capital Blvd
Raleigh, NC 27604
(919) 878-5505

If I remember correctly, "Robert" called me after they began the installation to advise that they needed a "special cable" (aka "toycam" interface) to connect the camera to the back of the nav unit. They had to order it via expedited overnight delivery. I never saw the cable, but assumed that it was a "Y" cable that plugged into R10. I also assumed they learned about the "special cable" from Fujitsu Ten / Eclipse technical support.

<<<<<< BEC105 Camera
R10<<<<<<
<<<<<< Cable normally connected directly to R10
jagbagri took a little different approach. He used "pins" from an internal PC CD-ROM cable. He spliced the pins to the end of the camera cable and then inserted them into the appropriate locations of the connector that plugs into R10. He did a good job documenting his installation. Refer to this thread. https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=11672
He used a BEC-106 camera, but it looks exactly like my BEC-105. I have no idea what the difference is between a BEC-105 and BEC-106.

Good luck...

Old 06-17-2007, 12:21 AM
Enthusiast

FYI - Prior to the installation, the installer thought he would be able to install an auxilary switch that would allow the camera to be activated without shifting into park. This didn't work out. The camera could be turned on OK, but the radio/nav unit would not switch to display the backup camera input.
shifting into park?!? i thought the display switched to the camera by shifting into reverse. Please advise.

more importantly, does this mean that you cannot "psych" the nav unit into displaying video while driving?

thanks!

Old 06-17-2007, 03:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redwings7907
shifting into park?!? i thought the display switched to the camera by shifting into reverse. Please advise.

more importantly, does this mean that you cannot "psych" the nav unit into displaying video while driving?

thanks!
You're right... I meant "reverse" not "park".

Per the shop that installed my backup camera, you can not "psych" the nav unit into displaying video while driving.

Old 06-17-2007, 04:27 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Video Input?

stumbled into this. it's the best interface i've come across so far. no word on how much it might cost, or if it will play video while driving yet, but i plan on looking into it further. i can already tell that these are my kinda guys.

http://www.tvandnav2go.com/lexus-navigation-system.html

Quick Reply: Video Input?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands