VSC with TRAC vs. VDIM

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 06:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default VSC with TRAC vs. VDIM

All four non-hybrid models of the Camry come optionally with Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) with Traction Control (TRAC). The hybrid instead comes standard with Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM). I'm pretty sure I know what VSC with TRAC is, but have no idea about VDIM.

Anyone know what it is, whether it is directly comparable to the other system and what the differences are. I'm learning just how useless the Toyota web site is for info like that. They give you the names with no descriptions.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:52 AM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: VSC with TRAC vs. VDIM

VDIM is an enhanced version of VSC, or if you look at it another way VSC is a component of VDIM. VSC system works like "Oh no, this driver is losing control, let me adjust stuff now and save the day". It is the life jacket thrown to you after you fall off the boat. VDIM works like "Hmmm, getting close to limits of handling, let me make some fine adjustments now to avoid getting close to losing control. It is the higher railing that prevents you from falling off the boat in the first place. I believe the reason VDIM is on the hybrids and not on the regular models is the use of electric power steering.

Here is an interesting Lexus link I found with a short explanation of how this and some other technologies work http://www.lexus-europe.com/technolo....asp?model=All

Last edited by Droid13; 06-08-2006 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the link. Your description was a good analogy. Sounds like the bottom line is that the TCH comes standard with a more comprehensive system than is optionally available in the other versions.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Droid13
VDIM is an enhanced version of VSC, or if you look at it another way VSC is a component of VDIM. VSC system works like "Oh no, this driver is losing control, let me adjust stuff now and save the day". It is the life jacket thrown to you after you fall off the boat. VDIM works like "Hmmm, getting close to limits of handling, let me make some fine adjustments now to avoid getting close to losing control. It is the higher railing that prevents you from falling off the boat in the first place. I believe the reason VDIM is on the hybrids and not on the regular models is the use of electric power steering.

Here is an interesting Lexus link I found with a short explanation of how this and some other technologies work http://www.lexus-europe.com/technolo....asp?model=All

Wow Andy you should be a teacher, excellent analogy! I didn't have to read it a second time to understand it! *especially with all the new big words that the TCH comes with*

Old 06-08-2006, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Orcrone
Thanks for the link. Your description was a good analogy. Sounds like the bottom line is that the TCH comes standard with a more comprehensive system than is optionally available in the other versions.
That is the same conclusion I came to after reading about the two systems.

These are a couple of links that I thought were interesting:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/arch.../t-152498.html

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto...198.A9227.html