Ways to set/change functions yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Ways to set/change functions yourself?

Some time ago, someone (Nash, I think) posted instructions that anyone can use to enable/disable the smartkey system themselves without having to go to the dealer to do it. It involved multiple opening and closing of doors, in between button presses on the fob.

I'm wondering if there are similar techniques to control other parameters that normally require a visit to the dealer, such as the Manual/Auto setting for the Recirc mode (perhaps involving specific sequences of button presses on the climate control system). If anyone is aware of any such procedures, maybe you can pass them on here. Maybe we can cut down on unnecessary visits to the dealer for what should be user-accessible tasks.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Default Re: Ways to set/change functions yourself?

You will need to read thru the service manuals in order to determine what setting you can control yourself, and what settings a dealer has to adjust.
http://www.camrymanuals.com/

Old 07-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Enthusiast

Customization Options for TCH
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=11240

Sounds like for more advanced options (AC/Recirc auto on/off, etc) you need the dealer to plug in a laptop and use special software from Toyota, but it's a 10 second thing that you shouldn't be charged for.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:37 PM

I understand all of that very well. the point I was trying to make is that disabling the Smartkey system is also one those "dealer only" settings that you are led to believe can only be changed by dealer connected equipment. In fact, it turns out that it can be controlled by a fairly complex and obscure procedure that involving opening and closing the driver door in between clicks of the button on the remote.

Given that the Toyota engineers came up with that one, I suspect that at least some other of these settings can also be controlled by equally obscure "secret" button or switch sequences.

Look also to the entry method for the Nav system diagnostic screen for another example of a hidden sequence (and yes, I know it's made by Denso, not Toyota).