This was weird and a little spooky

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default This was weird and a little spooky

2007, now with 56,000 mostly trouble free miles. I was waiting to enter a secured facility today, as part of my job. The nice man with the .357 magnum directed me to a holding are while he got entry clearance for one vehicle ahead of me, then for me. I backed into a spot and waited.

I noticed that my ICE was on, gauge was showing 0 mpg. And after 5minutes or so, it just never shut off. Curious, I switched my display to the energy screen and noticed that my traction battery was quite low, 1, maybe two bars, but totally purple. How strange is that that it is not even putting a charge to the battery. The little wheelie display showed no ICE potential going anywhere.

THEN the engine started to run badly. The was a rough vibration coming and going, it almost sounded like a misfire. I scanned the dash quickly, no MIL, no idiot lights. So I shut the car off and hoped a reboot would solve the problem. The guard was coming and I need to complete some paperwork and I was re-directed to another portion of the facility a few blocks away.

I started the car up and it ran fine after that point.

Has anyone experienced this?

Old 10-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: This was weird and a little spooky

Did you put the car into neutral? I think when in neutral there is no charging at all, also not sure about parking, there might be some charging, but not as powerful. The engine could be running due to cold or trying to charge main batt. and in idle it takes much longer, whenever I get stuck in traffic it takes long while to charge battery from purple to green, on the other hand when moving above 10-15 MPH it's very quick. My engine also sometimes runs rougher than other times, no pattern and everything seems fine so I don't worry about. I also noticed engine runs much smoother after fresh oil change and it will run poorly if the old oil is low as well, but as I said before sometimes it will run rough for short time for no reason.