What if..... the battery pack fails???

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What if..... the battery pack fails???

An open cell...??

Due to the design of the e/CVT the ICE alone CANNOT move the car.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:05 AM
Engineering Professor

Originally Posted by rburt07
If my traction battery ever goes bad, I would prefer the toyota tech replace the defective 7 volt battery pack that cost about $100. It's a plug in device. I don't know how much labor is involved. I doubt it's that difficult to do.
Toyota does NOT provide this repair. They only do a full HV battery replacement. You can find technically oriented Prius owners that have experimented with module replacements (mostly in the earlier generation, 2001-2003) with some success and they do offer doing it as a low cost service.
If the traction battery fails I would think the ECU (electronic control unit) is smart enough to allow the car to run entirely on the engine.
The ECU cannot do this.
The deep cycle 12 volt battery in the trunk is used for power to the instruments and readouts. It also powers the ECU even in the sleep mode.
The small 12v battery is NOT "deep cycle" capable and a small number of full discharges will kill it. You can replace it with a deep cycle battery, but not from your Toyota dealer.
If this very dependable battery don't work the car's ECU will not boot up. This 12 volt battery can be jumped like a standard or smaller 12 volt battery. The information is in the car manual in the glove box.
Just be very careful not to reverse the terminals as this can (and probably will) result in a very expensive repair.

JeffD

Old 12-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Engineering Professor

Originally Posted by haroldo
...of course these cars are still relatively new. The Prius is more 'battle tested' but the Camry Hybrid is only a few years old. No one can say for sure what will happen when the Camry turns 6 or 7 years of age...or older.
Your TCH has basically the same "Hybrid Synergy Drive" as the Prius and I would expect it to have similar reliability as it ages.

As an aside, I would suggest that all of you consider one maintenance procedure that is not in your manual. Do an early (at about 30,000 miles) replacement of the "Type WS" ATF in your "Transmission" and then again after each 60,000 miles. Your dealer should charge you less than $100 each time. A group of Prius "Techies" (including me with 135,500 miles on my 2004 Prius) have been monitoring ATF wear via laboratory tests and find that this should extend the life of this expensive component of our cars.

JeffD