what means MAINT REQRED SOON?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 04:49 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default what means MAINT REQRED SOON?

when i started my 07 camry hybrid. it said or showed MAINT REQUIRED SOON on the odometer. I also saw the right warning icon flash light.

it shows for like 5 seconds and than engine would start.

I guess MAINT means maintainance. What kind of maintaiance it means?

change engine oil or transmission oil or brake oil or what?

does this means Check Engine for some engine problem?

some other cars would show , change engine oil or whatever the problem is but this just said MAINT required soon.

Ur suggestion and advice?

does it ever need transmission oil change?

thanks

Old 07-02-2008, 05:06 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: what means MAINT REQRED SOON?

The warning will come on a few miles (100 miles? I don't know exactly...) before you're due to change the oil. When you reach the 5,000 mile mark from when the maintenance reminder was last reset, the warning will change to MAINT REQD, which will not go away unless the reminder is reset. You can still toggle through the different displays, but the maintenance reminder will always reappear after a few seconds.

You can search this forum for how to reset the reminder.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by klynch
You can search this forum for how to reset the reminder.
And the manual I believe.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

As the others have said, it's ONLY driving factor is mileage since the monitor was reset.

Starting at 4,500 miles, you get the NAG alert/screen for a few seconds everytime you start the car. At 5,000 miles, it becomes an IN YOUR FACE alert with MAINT RQD alert AND a red triangle on the instrument panel. If you're not ready for it, it can create quite a pucker factor until you realize it is ONLY a reminder to change the oil.

BTW, now would be a good time to start using TRIP B to track mileage since refill rather that TRIP A since resetting the alert requires the TRIP A distance to be reset to zero.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by JHSmith
...resetting the alert requires the TRIP A distance to be reset to zero.
Don't you think Toyota could have come up with a better sequence to reset the alert, than requiring the trip meter to be reset also? I recently rented a Chrysler Sebring (YUK!) and the change oil reminder came up on the second day of my 7 day rental. A quick look at the manaul in the glove box (thank you for leaving it there) gave me the steps to reset, and it DIDN'T involve resetting the trip odometer. If Chrysler can do it, so can Toyota! Another thing...Chrysler's cruise control doesn't forget the set speed if you go below 25mph when braking or coming to a complete stop... as does Toyota's. Nit pick, I know....

Old 07-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

my first oil change was when it reached 30k miles. I put synthetic oil.

Now my odometer reads 7680 miles and i am seeing this mAINT REQURD SOON light.

Does it mean change engine oil? will the light go off after i change it?
what else should I get new? air filter or new brakes? should I changed transmission oil?

suggestions?

Old 07-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Jimmy,

The best thing is to READ the manual as others have discussed. You only need an oil change at this point. Check the air in the tires, the air filter and re-set the maint. light.

Your manual will give you all of the information you are asking about required service intervals.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Enthusiast

My Toyota Dealer gives a FREE oil change for life every 3,000 miles with 76 SYN BLEND.

Old 07-04-2008, 03:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

what is an airfilter? how do i check to see if i have low transmission fluid on my camry hybrid?

I can find the engine oil , but not the transmission oil. I want to check to see if its low or need refill. when do i change transmission oil if there is such on this car? only when it reaches 30k miles?

toyota dealer where i bought wants 100$ for synthetic blend oil change. i asked why such expensive. the guy says cos each quarter cost about 11$ and it needs like 7 quarters of oil, and thats how it comes to 72$ and the rest is for labor.

do u really pay 100$ for synthetic blend oil change and oil filter?

suggestions?

what about brake pads?
mine is 7850 milage.
thanks

Old 07-04-2008, 04:02 AM

If you want to be a DIY-er, you really should crack open the manual.
There is a link to the 2007 manual in my signature which is online and can be searched. (07 and 08 are essentially the same car). The 2008 manual link in my signature isn't searchable
it's very easy to follow and answers 100% of your questions

Quick Reply: what means MAINT REQRED SOON?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands