When was your first oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 10:13 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: When was your first oil change?

It seems most TCH owners (judging from those who reponded to this thread) aren't bothering to change their oil at the 500 and 1000 miles mark (as recommended by car experts) for an optimal break-in. It seems they are following the Toyota recommended intervals.

What is the consensus on oil changes during the break-in period? Should the oil be changed early to rid of metal (& misc) deposits? Does the TCH have "special" oil that is better left untouched until the first recommended interval?

Old 10-26-2006, 10:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leepark
It seems most TCH owners (judging from those who reponded to this thread) aren't bothering to change their oil at the 500 and 1000 miles mark (as recommended by car experts) for an optimal break-in. It seems they are following the Toyota recommended intervals.

What is the consensus on oil changes during the break-in period? Should the oil be changed early to rid of metal (& misc) deposits? Does the TCH have "special" oil that is better left untouched until the first recommended interval?
Steve,

Unless I'm missing something I think you know the answer. In the first paragraph you state "most TCH owners (judging from those who reponded to this thread) aren't bothering to change their oil at the 500 and 1000 miles mark...It seems they are following the Toyota recommended intervals."

Then in the second paragraph you ask "What is the consensus on oil changes during the break-in period? Should the oil be changed early to rid of metal (& misc) deposits?" Doesn't your first paragraph answer the second?

Old 10-26-2006, 10:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

What I was meaning was, "What is the consensus amongst the car experts who are TCH owners..."

Old 10-26-2006, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by leepark
What I was meaning was, "What is the consensus amongst the car experts who are TCH owners..."
??? How do you define someone as a car expert? Someone who's owned many cars, someone who does most of their own maintenance, someone who reads many car magazines, someone who works in the automotive industry? Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand. As this is an open forum you have people with all different objective and subjective opinions (I guess objective opinion is an oxymoron). For instance you'll have some that will still change oil every 3000 miles and some that will use synthetic and go 15,000 between oil changes.

In my probably non-expert opinion I usually follow the manufacturers' recommendation. I had an early 80s Toyota that recommended an early first oil change, but don't think I've owned a car since then that recommended it.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:45 AM

The dealer changed mine at 5112 miles. The dealer used 5W-30 oil... but so far I can't say there is any difference in gas mileage. Note that I had the mechanic only add 4 quarts of oil, instead of the normal 4.3 to avoid over filling. The level is right below the full mark. 4.3 quarts would have been over full.

The TCH is the first car I've owned that has not used any oil between changes. The oil was at the full mark the day I took it in to be changed, just as it was when I bought the TCH. The oil still looked new at 5K, clear amber color.