Why Did You Sell Your TCH?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Why Did You Sell Your TCH?

I'm curious to hear from those who may still occasionally peruse this board but have sold their TCH. I have an 07 and am still very happy with it. Still drives and looks like a new car. Of course, I take very good care of the TCH and polish it and wash it frequently. But I'm perplexed why anybody would sell it and for what. I guess maybe a Lexus would be nicer, but for the kind of money those run for it's hard to justify the expense. I guess it all just depends on one's lifestyle and budget. Do people just get tired of having the same car and want something new? Or are there rational reasons for selling and replacing it? Are you happy you sold the TCH or do you miss it?

Old 09-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Why Did You Sell Your TCH?

I cant see why anyone would want to get rid of one of these cars, they are absolutely wonderful. A big car with great gas mileage when fuel prices are high!!!

Old 09-17-2011, 12:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Some sell their cars, (TCH or other) rather than use it as a trade-in for a new model.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

The trunk is the only (small) downfall.

I'd like a Lexus not for status but because of cooled seats and presumably a better dealer experience.

All that said I hope to see 200,000 miles on my TCH one day. I have a Japan-built 2007. So I like having one of the first made. It does have small quirks such as a dash rattle and center console squeak.

I do love all of the stock ammenities though, it is by far better than any of the other vehicles I have ever owned, Chevy, GMC, MB (old diesels), VW, KIA, etc.

I did add a factory nav and backup camera and that makes it all the much more techy.

So, sorry I didn't answer your question but if I had to guess it would be because a lot of today's people like to have newer models and fear the dreaded 100,000 mile mark on a car that was programmed into us like the 3000 mile oil change.

-Mike

Old 09-17-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by jetttstream
The trunk is the only (small) downfall.

So, sorry I didn't answer your question but if I had to guess it would be because a lot of today's people like to have newer models and fear the dreaded 100,000 mile mark on a car that was programmed into us like the 3000 mile oil change.

-Mike
I owned various compact cars like Cavaliers and Corolla's. It looked to me the TCH had a little larger trunk.

I remember when the foreign cars started coming to America around 1960. Honda arrived in the mid 70's. I remember most in America would trade their cars around 85,000. They did the same when they bought the foreign models, not knowing the Toyotas and Hondas would easily go 150,000 miles.

I was a kid in the late 40's, in those days my dad would have his oil and filter changed every 2000 miles. Oil quality in those days was nothing compared to the motor oils of today. One reason for the frequent oil changes was due to slugging. Back then the oils didn't have the additives and detergents to prevent sludge like today's oils.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, but you are comparing compact cars to a mid-size sedan.

Go open the trunk of a new Kia Optima and you can put 5 dead bodies in that thing---it's HUGE.

I'm talking compared to other midsize sedans.

Don't get me wrong I love my TCH.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:55 AM

I was so used to the compact size cars and trunks over the years, the TCH trunk to me looked larger. I have no problems with it's size, it's held just about anything I need to put into it. It's just me and my wife, so if the truck was ever full, we can use the rear floorboards if needed.

I remember the first time I was shown the new Camry Hybrid. I was impressed, that Toyota kept the rear fold down seats when they came out with the '07 TCH.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Like I said, see a KIA optima or Hyundai Sonota trunk and you'll see what I mean immediately.

-Mike

Old 09-19-2011, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by jetttstream
Like I said, see a KIA optima or Hyundai Sonota trunk and you'll see what I mean immediately.

-Mike
I looked at the 2012 Optima and Sonata Hybrid's trunk pictures in the google images. The trunks are sure larger than our present TCH but these two new hybrids are using the smaller, lighter lithium batteries. I noticed the Sonata trunk looked even deeper than the Optimas. I don't know if the 2012 TCH will compare that well, since toyota is sticking to the NiMh battery pack.