Won't start (TCH 07) - ? Battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 07:02 AM
Enthusiast
Default Won't start (TCH 07) - ? Battery

For the 3rd time in the last week my TCH will not start. Took it to dealer a week ago (jump started) and they said all electrical components ok, including battery (which is about 5.5 years old). Last 2 times I used my portable battery operated device - started up immediately. Live in Michigan - it's been in the 30's. Only time this occurred before was in late 06 after dealer installed remote start - there was a service bulletin that came out after that time and some adjustment was made and never a problem until now. Radio turned off,lights not on auto, nothing (lights) left on, etc.

? start of fishing expedition (=$$$$) car out of reg. warranty (on 36.5 K miles) but do have the platinum Toyota extended warranty.

?? Most likely failing battery?? any suggestions.

Thanks,

Old 11-24-2011, 09:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Won't start (TCH 07) - ? Battery

Battery....'07.....4 years...

Old 11-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwest
Battery....'07.....4 years...

07 TCH, purchased 5/26/2006 not 2007, so 5.5 years in 3 days.

Anyone with a useful comment?

Old 11-24-2011, 06:59 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

generally speaking, comments like this Anyone with a useful comment? will not get you far in any forum.

I feel, you need to clarify your post. TCH has 2 batteries. which one you talking about?
I used my portable battery operated device - what exactly is it? cell phone?

I am assuming you are referring to your 12V battery, but it does not start your car. It only serves as a back up 12V storage for ECM and other electronics. Motive force is provided by NiMeHi battery in the trunk and MG2. Until engine picks up, which it is started by one of the motors either, don't remember which one, sorry. But both MG-s are powered off by hybrid battery at movement initiation and in reverse..

12V batteries are known to last very long time.

Personally, I'd look along remote start install lines. Have no previous experience with them on Hybrids, or Toyotas in general, but know that GM vehicles have heck of a lot starting issues on cars that have remote starts installed.

Kindness is a weird thing; the more you use it, the more you have of it.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:21 PM
Pragmatist

What do you mean by "start" ? Does it not turn on electrically? Or, does it not spin the gasoline motor and start emitting exhaust fumes? And, which battery was jumped? The little 12V battery? Or, the huge high-voltage traction battery?

Based on your statement that hooking up a portable battery-operated device was enough to get it to start, I am guessing you applied voltage to the little 12V battery. And, that the problem was that it would not turn on electrically.

If the little 12V battery does not have adequate voltage or amperage (either one), it will fail to operate the relay that allows current from the large high-voltage battery. And, it will fail to operate the electronics. If adding a 12V source in parallel with that little battery, makes it behave normally, then there is a problem with the 12V source, or with the charging circuit.

These cars don't have traditional alternators. (They have huge motor-generators instead. If those weren't working, the whole system would be down and you wouldn't be able to get it going at all.) So, the charging circuit is not likely to be the problem.

Even AGM batteries have finite life expectancy. Five years is pretty long. A volt-meter can tell you if it has less than the 13.5 volts that you expect to see in a "12V" battery, and if it is being charged while the car is turned on. A clamp-on amp meter can tell you if how rapidly it is being charged.

It probably just needs a new 12V battery. Make sure to get the right "AGM" type -- that is very important. There are other threads here that discuss the battery requirements in great detail.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Enthusiast

12 volt battery (in the trunk) was bad. This is the one I applied power to with a portable battery booster (with jumper cable units).

Not sure anyone in their right mind would mess with the traction battery which I thought did not start the car. Nevertheless, 300 bucks later it is starting and hopefully problem is solved.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:38 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
generally speaking, comments like this Anyone with a useful comment? will not get you far in any forum.

I feel, you need to clarify your post. TCH has 2 batteries. which one you talking about?
I used my portable battery operated device - what exactly is it? cell phone?

I am assuming you are referring to your 12V battery, but it does not start your car. It only serves as a back up 12V storage for ECM and other electronics. Motive force is provided by NiMeHi battery in the trunk and MG2. Until engine picks up, which it is started by one of the motors either, don't remember which one, sorry. But both MG-s are powered off by hybrid battery at movement initiation and in reverse..

12V batteries are known to last very long time.

Personally, I'd look along remote start install lines. Have no previous experience with them on Hybrids, or Toyotas in general, but know that GM vehicles have heck of a lot starting issues on cars that have remote starts installed.

Kindness is a weird thing; the more you use it, the more you have of it.
so the comment that a 2007 TCH battery is 4 years old not 5.5 like it was was not useless! Come on now. How did that help solve the problem?? My comment was not inappropriate as response that battery was 4 years old implying my math was wrong was sooo helpful in sorting out the problem!! Your cellphone comment was most appreciated.