XM to Sirius

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Enthusiast
Default XM to Sirius

IS there anyway to change the factory XM radio to Sirius? I already have a Sirius account so it would be cheaper and easier to add a radio than set up a new account. Also the XM reception is very poor up here. It cuts out quite often as compared to my Sirius radios (different satellites).

Old 04-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Default Re: XM to Sirius

XM and Sirius are the same company now. I would think any hardware should work.

Just call SiriusXM customer support with your radio id and they should be able to activate it as long as your account is current.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Pragmatist

The satellites are different. The receivers are different. There are two different radio bands. That they are both now owned by one company is a coincidence. The business merger happened after the satellites were launched. Satellites are not easy to modify, and they don't replace satellites on a whim, so the ground-based systems remain in use until the satellites die. I have read that the new satellites transmit on BOTH bands, but I'm not sure where I read that.

I have a Sirius receiver in my TCH. I know they exist, because I have one. I bought it in December of 07, so I can't be certain they still make them, but I am completely certain that they exist because I have one.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:16 AM
Enthusiast

I installed XM Radio in my car so I am not talking from experience, but you can almost certainly put Sirius Satellite Radio on your TCH. Check with Crutchfield, or XMFANSTORE, or another electronics store that you trust. I got my XM Direct unit from XMFANSTORE, and it seems they have one for Sirius Radio that

Includes:
  • Media Gateway Interface Box
  • Vehicle Specific Harness
  • Auxiliary connection cable
  • Sirius Satellite Radio Tuner Box
  • Satellite Tuner box connection cable
  • Magnetic Sirius vehicle antenna
That kit is at http://store.xmfanstore.com/complete...ion-lexus.html.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes, my '07 TCH came with factory installed Sirius also.