Battery Mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 07:43 PM
Enthusiast
Default Battery Mode

Hello Everyone -

I am a new Highlander Hybrid owner (got lucky and found one unclaimed fresh off the boat!) who is trying hard to learn to drive for the best MPG.

I have noticed it is impossible to drive in battery only mode unless I am tooling around a parking lot at 5-10mph. I thought the Prius could go to 40mph just on the battery with decent acceleration. Is that not true?

In short, should I be able to drive in battery only mode with reasonable (not breakneck) acceleration, or am I dreaming?

I love the car! I have 130 miles on only the first 1/4 tank of gas!

Old 10-28-2005, 08:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery Mode

The Prius can't do it normally with reasonable acceleration, you gotta drive really light to keep the engine off. There is a modification to upgrade the car to a feature that comes standard on European and Japanese models so that it forces (to some degree) the engine to stay off until the threshold speed, or battery condition was low, etc. That allows somewhat reasonable acceleration, but if you try to use more than about 20hp worth of battery power the engine will come back on and EV mode will cancell. I don't think there's an equivalent EV mode button option in the SUVs but I don't know for sure.

Old 10-29-2005, 12:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have only been able to achieve about 25-28 mph from 0 without the engine kicking in. But its pretty hard, and mostly around my own neighborhood, with no-one around to "honk" at you. And its very hard to do when the car is cold or the temp outside is cold. My car after its warmed up and im on a smooth level road, will stay in EV mode at 39-41mph steady with a light touch on the pedal. You will learn your car and what it likes. Good luck. Dean

Old 10-29-2005, 08:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

My suggestion is to not worry too much about staying in EV or battery mode when accellerating from a stop. Instead, as soon as you get to the cruising speed, let up on the gas then gradually reapply it to the point where you are maintaining the speed you desire. On a flat road below 40 mph, this *should* be accomplished in EV mode.

Old 11-03-2005, 03:32 PM
Enthusiast

Indeed, it is tough to stay in EV mode. I have a 2WD, and if I'm on a slight downhill, or completely flat road, I've gotten it all the way up to 40mph. If there is any slight uphill, it will kick on the ICE. I suspect the 4WD model might have a bit more omph from the extra elec motor, which would enable it to accelerate more quickly from a stop, and maybe make it easier to maintain hwy speed with just elec. Any 4WDers out there can chime in.

From a dead stop, you really have to touch the gas pedal lightly, and don't depress too far. With practice, you learn where the thresholds.

Have fun driving your new HH. I know I have.

Old 11-04-2005, 05:34 AM
Enthusiast

I've been trying to pratice the techniques advocated by experienced Prius owners in these forums and have found that once I reach my desired speed, if I let up on the gas and gently re-apply pressure, I am able to keep the ICE off as high as 50-55 mph on flat roads and 35-40 mph on slight uphill grades. It is hard work since it is so hard to feel when the ICE kicks on and the car is so darn quiet on the inside!

I read CoastalETech is working on the EV mode mod for the HiHy, does any one know the impact that mod has on your warranty???

Old 11-05-2005, 11:30 AM
joe540ci

I was on the 215 beltway in vegas and the engine shut off and it ran electric for at least 1/4 mile while crusing at 60. Now that iam in minnesota with the heater on the elect mode occures a lot less often and milage has droped at least 1-2 mpg, what is the fastest you can be going in the electric mode??

joe

Old 11-08-2005, 05:33 PM
Enthusiast

If you are trying to go from a stop to normal driving speed AND stay in battery mode expect to get the one-finger wave on occasion. It can be done but you need to take it SLOW and have the right conditions. Busy city streets may not be the place to try it. Best bet is to get to speed then lay off the gas and feather it to stay in battery as much as possible.

I have a 6 block up hill climb to my house and my goal is to stay in battery mode the whole way. It is a urban residential area with kids so I dont mind it when I hold folks up with my 15 mph climb. When I first started I never made it more than a block. Now 4 months and 4000 miles later I am happy to say I am able to make the climb in battery mode 90%+ of the time.

The skills learned on the hill have also translated into better overall mpg. I now average 27 mpg up from 24 - 25 (almost all city driving).

The HiHy is an awsome vehicle!

Kace