Can you disable the electric drive system?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 07:28 AM
Enthusiast
Default Can you disable the electric drive system?

I have a Highlander Hybrid 2008 with 260,000 plus miles - and the lithium battery is showing signs of age. This battery is very expensive, and I do not do much city driving where the hybrid system really matters. One idea is to disable the electric drive system, thus converting the vehicle to conventional drive, to avoid the cost of replacing the lithium battery in such an old car. Is this practical, and has anyone with experience with such a conversion? The car is otherwise in fine shape.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:03 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can you disable the electric drive system?

You do not have a Lithium battery. You have a NiMH battery.

The Toyota hybrids are deeply integrated and require all aspects of the hybrid propulsion system to be functional.

It MAY be possible to completely replace the entire propulsion system with a standard highlander engine + transmission + all relevant computers, but a hybrid battery would probably be cheaper and 10000X easier.

Old 04-25-2021, 04:34 PM

If your question is - can I drive using ICE only, answer is - no. As far as you go through PSD, what is hybrid transmission, you MUST have power supply to motor generators or, you will have NO motive force at the wheels. Sure, you can swap for used conventional hybrid power train but, transmission will not mount, as it is different and you'll have to remake all that. Even better, power train management system and harness will not match that power train. You cna remake all THAT, but then - why? For financial exercise?

Old 04-26-2021, 09:19 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
You do not have a Lithium battery. You have a NiMH battery.

The Toyota hybrids are deeply integrated and require all aspects of the hybrid propulsion system to be functional.

It MAY be possible to completely replace the entire propulsion system with a standard highlander engine + transmission + all relevant computers, but a hybrid battery would probably be cheaper and 10000X easier.
Thanks Keith. I may try for some quotes on replacing the battery, since it is NiMH, it should be less expensive than lithium..

Old 04-28-2021, 07:47 PM

$1500 or so. There are several reputable online sources that sell them. Install is about $500 and plenty of mobile hybrid technicians now. I'd suggest to find tech first then discuss with him, which battery supplier he prefers. techs are very leery to warrant any parts, not chosen by them.Unless you want to DIY it, it's not that bad of a job.

Old 05-26-2022, 02:20 PM
Enthusiast

Hello, I have a 06 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. I have 265k as of May2022. As my batteries lose charge, I've decided to get a charger/ reconditioner from Prolong hybrid battery charger. I'll be able to recharge discharge the Nicads back to new again.
Just another idea if you haven't heard of this method.

Old 05-26-2022, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by MORSELICIOUS
Hello, I have a 06 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. I have 265k as of May2022. As my batteries lose charge, I've decided to get a charger/ reconditioner from Prolong hybrid battery charger. I'll be able to recharge discharge the Nicads back to new again.
Just another idea if you haven't heard of this method.
As mentioned above, they are NiMH cells.

Do you have a failed battery code?

Old 05-26-2022, 03:01 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply. We decided to sell our 2008 Hybrid Highlander - due to good market value, I got $2600 for it, as is - and considered us lucky. We are now in our 80s and downsizing, so we don't need such a big car. I settled for a Jeep Renegade (fossil fuel) for 25K. We need 4wd and the ground clearance, as we are in the central NH woods on a road not maintained by the authorities. The cheapest hybrids were at least 10K more. Calculating the amount of travel we plan, and our hope to live out at least the decade, even with gas approaching $5/gal, I think we did right. We are trying to live on social security. The real world must figure in all calculations.

Old 05-26-2022, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by diacad
Thanks for your reply. We decided to sell our 2008 Hybrid Highlander - due to good market value, I got $2600 for it, as is - and considered us lucky. We are now in our 80s and downsizing, so we don't need such a big car. I settled for a Jeep Renegade (fossil fuel) for 25K. We need 4wd and the ground clearance, as we are in the central NH woods on a road not maintained by the authorities. The cheapest hybrids were at least 10K more. Calculating the amount of travel we plan, and our hope to live out at least the decade, even with gas approaching $5/gal, I think we did right. We are trying to live on social security. The real world must figure in all calculations.
Low mileage drivers are the worst candidates for hybrid ownership. Your road conditions clearly are the most important consideration. Ya done good.