Factory Interacive xm radio instalation for highlander hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 06:11 PM
Enthusiast
Default Factory Interacive xm radio instalation for highlander hybrid

Has anyone installed an xm radio kit themselves from Factory Interactive for their Toyota Highlandr Hybrid and how hard was it?

Old 11-22-2005, 01:23 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Factory Interacive xm radio instalation for highlander hybrid

Hello Pattyflys2

I installed the kit myself. I would never have tried it without the instructional DVD they send with the kit. I watched it once in full and then kept it paused while going back and forth between the garage and the DVD on my computer. I won't say it was a cake walk, but it certainly wasn't hard either. The hardest part of the install was mustering the courage to try it. I think it's MUCH easier than it looks.

And what is the worst case scenario, you start to do it and go "ug, I can't finish!". Then you are still no worse off. Just take it to your nearest reputable car alarm or stereo installer with the instructional DVD and probably a hundred bucks and say "here, you do it!".

Also, the guy whose email they give you is VERY responsive. I sent him an email on Sunday night after I was done and he responded within 2 hours.

Having done it I can say for sure that I would absolutely do it again. I love having the XM and it works perfectly.

Good Luck with yours!

Old 11-22-2005, 06:30 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Factory Interacive xm radio instalation for highlander hybrid

[B][I]Hi Rodney:
Thank you for the information. We haven't received our "package" yet but are expecting it on Friday or Saturday.
Question................we noticed on the website page that the "MSG" box on the regular Audio page says "TEXT" when the XM unit has been installed. If you push text while driving (Now that you have the system installed in your Hybrid), does the Artist and Song info show on the screen in the middle of the window of the "Text" Screen while you are driving. The reason we ask this is because normally when you push the "MSG" button on the Audio Screen while in motion, it takes you to the "MSG" screen which displays a message "Message feature not available while driving" (or something like that)
In essence, when driving the message screen is disabled but does the "TEXT" feature change this with the XM device?
Thank you again for your info,
Patty and Mike

Old 11-22-2005, 07:35 PM
Enthusiast

You know, Patty, I'm not sure if I have ever pushed that button while moving. I'll make a point to do it tomorrow and let you know.

Congratulations on your purchase. The absence of satellite radio on this vehicle is unfortunate. At least we have this option, which actually holds a clue with regard to whether or not Toyota will offer this as a standard feature. The receiver unit, which gets hidden in the back during installation, is a Toyota part with Toyota written on it all official like. My guess is they are just trying to figure out where they are going to put it.

At any rate, I will try that button while moving tomorrow and report back...

Old 11-23-2005, 09:17 AM
Enthusiast

Hello Patty,

The TEXT button works just fine even at warp speed. Makes sense to me, though I had never used the MSG button.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Old 12-11-2005, 06:56 AM
Enthusiast

Rodney, does this require getting behind the dash? Any gotchas you ran into to look out for? I just picked up my new Highlander and would love NOT mounting my old XM receiver to the dash. I'm loving this!

Thanks!

Old 12-11-2005, 07:46 AM
Enthusiast

Hello Adam,

First, Congratulations!

Second, No. You do not need to get behind the dash, and thats a good thing. You wind up pulling the head unit out, adding a Y connector and putting it back. You then run a small conduit of cables to the back where the receiver gets mounted under the rear heater controls.

There weren't any gotchas. I would probably never have attempted it without the awesome instructional DVD they include.

Good Luck!

Old 12-12-2005, 02:52 PM
Enthusiast

Hi - I'm a newbie here but am really interested in finding out more about how to get XM in my Highlander - my Highlander Hybrid is on order and will be delivered 1/2/06. I've ordered it with the factory installed GPS navigation system. But I rented a car last week with XM and I'm in love! Now I'm trying to figure out, since Toyota doesn't offer factory installed XM, whether to cancel the order for the nav system and install one of those does-it-all units (Pioneer makes one), or whether this Factory Interactive XM can be installed in a Highlander that already has the GPS system. I'm looking for something that doesn't "look aftermarket". If I'm going to spend this much money on a car, I want it to look good! Can this XM be installed in a Highlander with GPS, or does the GPS take up all the dashboard "real estate"?

TIA!

Old 12-13-2005, 03:48 AM
Automania Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smartakus
Hi - I'm a newbie here but am really interested in finding out more about how to get XM in my Highlander - my Highlander Hybrid is on order and will be delivered 1/2/06. I've ordered it with the factory installed GPS navigation system. But I rented a car last week with XM and I'm in love! Now I'm trying to figure out, since Toyota doesn't offer factory installed XM, whether to cancel the order for the nav system and install one of those does-it-all units (Pioneer makes one), or whether this Factory Interactive XM can be installed in a Highlander that already has the GPS system. I'm looking for something that doesn't "look aftermarket". If I'm going to spend this much money on a car, I want it to look good! Can this XM be installed in a Highlander with GPS, or does the GPS take up all the dashboard "real estate"?

TIA!
Your in luck, check this site out. Several folks on the board have installed this unit and it's great. I'm planning on adding in the future, when I can get over having to pay for radio service.....

Check out this site....
http://www.factoryinteractive.com/

I to am a little upset with Toyota, first they announced that XM was going to be offered on all their 2006's, then it changed to specific models. Just like the Auto door locks they advertised for the HH, that never made it to the production vehicles.

Last edited by Bob259; 12-13-2005 at 06:15 AM.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:57 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Bob - I'm glad to hear these units get a thumbs up - but I'm still not clear about whether I can install one on a Highlander that already has factory installed GPS - is there room on the dashboard for this unit? It was my understanding that the Hybrid Highlander Limited with GPS had the radio functions right on the display (touchscreen). Where would this unit go? This is so hard to figure out since I don't actually have the car yet!

thanks for any info..

Quick Reply: Factory Interacive xm radio instalation for highlander hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands